Chapter 27: Runaway

October 19, 1972
Michael

"Michael, are we going to the arcade or what?" Nicole asked desperately. She had her hand on the door ready to run past me. I chuckled at her anticipation.

"Of course! I wanna play some pong!" I stated, grabbing my coat. It was unusually chilly for California. Nicole smiled before turning around, and bolting out the front door. I followed quickly through the awaiting front door. We traveled down the porch step, and her freshly paved service driveway. Heck, I think they just redid it four days ago. I might have to check my shoes for any wet concrete. Anyways, once we reached the front, Nicole made her way to the family's garage.

She struggled to get the metal garage to finally work with the momentum of her muscles. I jogged over to help her get the darn mechanism to work. I grasped my hands around hers, and it lifted gently. Nicole breathed a sigh of relief, and turned to me. We stared at each other for a minute. I could've sworn I saw something in her eye. I felt my breathing pick up as sweat started penetrating my pores. Nicole looked down with a smirk still placed on her lips.

"Should we get goin'?" Nicole whispered. A tint of red scattered against her cheeks.

"Yeah." I muttered. "I'll unchain the bikes."

"Alright... I-I'll go open the gate." She stammered, then walked away. I stood there for a second, confused by what just happened. All I knew was these feelings weren't going away any time soon. I walked slowly into the garage occasionally glancing to the gate where Nicole was chatting with the security officer that always patrolled it. I kept my eye on her for some reason, and she glanced over in my direction before looking back.

However, she quickly looked back at me before placing a small smile on her face. I returned it gleefully. Everyone wonders why I love hanging around her; she brings out a light in me I never knew existed. She kept staring at me for a few seconds though. I was beginning to wonder why. Was my hat on wrong, or somethin'?

 Was my hat on wrong, or somethin'?

I checked to make sure. Well, it feels right. Nicole wasn't looking at me anymore as she continued chatting with the guard, and occasionally laughing. I was now curious on what they were discussing. I took my bicycle and placed the kickstand against the ground. I saunter over to them to see them seemingly in a deep discussion. I raised an eyebrow when both the security guard and Nicole busted out into laughter.

"Alright, what's so hilarious?" My eyebrows furrowed in an even deeper confusion.

"Steve was just tellin' me how he saw Jermaine walkin' by with Hazel Gordy. Let's just say they were extremely high on something, and it ain't weed." Nicole remarked.

"Ugh, really?" I scoffed.

"Yep, those two were sure into one another." Steve, the security guy stated. "I've never seen a boy eat a girl's face like that before. I guess I've seen everything now."

"Only in this neighborhood, Steve. Only in this neighborhood." Nicole smirked. I was slowly but surely getting more impatient.

"Nic, can we go now please?" I irritably asked.

"Okay." She giggled at my tone. "Anything for you, best friend." I rolled my eyes.

"C'mon!" I snapped at her, pulling on her arms. I was usually a patient person, but I wanted to leave before next Sunday. She stopped and crossed her arms, a scowl placed on her face.

"Michael. I get you're wanting to go, but I just wanted a few minutes to catch up with Steve. You have no right to snap at me like that." Nicole clenched her mouth shut. I looked to the ground. What was I supposed to say? I guess I should apologize. Nicole was waiting for me already perched on her bike. "Are you coming?" She asked impatiently.

I shot her a smirk as she had just done what she scolded me for. Nicole inhaled deeply before setting her kickstand on the ground. I walked towards her engulfing her into a much needed hug. I smiled as she accepted it no matter how upset she had previously just been. The one thing to say is she is too loving to ever turn down my hug.

She let go, and glanced down at her feet. "Let's go, dummy." She pulled my arm to rush me towards our bikes. We hopped on with ease, and kicked out kickstands back into place. The tires rode nicely along the concreted driveway. Steve opened the gates, and let us through.

"Don't stay out too long, ya hear?" Steve called.

"We hear you." Nicole muttered.

"Yep." I exclaimed towards them. I smiled in anticipation of kicking Nicole's butt in every single one of these games.

--

"How did you beat me again?!" Nicole was flabbergasted. I understand why though. I had beat her 7 times in a row. Hey! That's a new set record, I bet! I was establishing the amazing Michael Jackson Wins Every Game In This Arcade movement.

"Resilience." I answered plainly.

"And stupidity." Nicole remarked, crossing her arms.

"I'm not stupid, Moran." I retaliated.

"Okay, whatever." She bit her lip. Just then out of the corner of my eye, I saw a very distrustful sight. A girl was eyeing me. Now that wouldn't be so scary if it weren't a group of hormonal, teenage girls. I quickly grabbed Nicole's wrist, and started pulling her to the exit.

"What're you doing?" Nicole wondered out loud.

"We have to go... now." I paused, glancing at the girls looking in our direction.

"Why?" She asked worriedly by my sudden actions.

"Unless you want to be trampled by oncoming fans, then I think we should go." I explained. She finally got the word, and we casually walked out of the arcade. Then that's when the fun really began. We hopped back on our bikes and pedaled faster than we thought was possible.

I remembered there was an upcoming alleyway as I saw the two brick buildings parts. "Nic, pedal down here. Don't you look back." I shouted. She complied, and we safely rode into the alleyway. I heard the whoosing sounds of their bikes riding past. We breathed in relief as we had escaped a cataclysm waiting to happen.

--

Yeah, I'm lazy. 😐