Chapter 21: Studio Sessions

May 26, 1987
Michael's POV

I forgot how much having an infant son was a task. Nicole and I surely have our hands full as DJ is now entering his mobile stage. He recently turned a year old, and this child was walking like he was preparing for a 5K marathon.

I picked the little runner up, and threw him over my shoulder. He squealed as he held onto my curls for support. Of course, it went off right in my ear. I kissed his forehead before carrying him into our kitchen. The smell of pancakes, bacon, and eggs flowed into my nostrils, and my mouth began to long for them.

DJ squirmed in my arms to be put down, and I obliged. He waddled over to his sister, and pulled on her pant leg. Sierra raised an eyebrow, and picked him up. DJ then pointed at her waffle sitting on her plate. Sierra scoffed, and looked for something.

"Mom, are those waffles done yet? I'm not sharing mine." Sierra complained.

"Hush it." Nicole pushed. "I still have to put the mix in the waffle maker. And then I have to cut them into little pieces, so the process takes time." She turned back around to shuffle around the eggs. I smiled as I crammed myself around the counter into a small space to wrap by arms around her. Nicole sucked in a gasp as she turned around. Before she had time to say anything, I placed my lips gently against her.

"Morning, baby." I whispered in her ear.

"Good morning, Michael." Nicole smiled, kissing my cheek.

"How's my incredible wife?" I rubbed her lower thigh.

"Incredibly tired. Masser wanted me to come back in to record the final tracks on my album. We're also talking about the release of a lead single." Nicole responded, taking the finally cooked eggs out the pan, and placed it on a plate. "Come and get it, kids." She called.

I heard two sets of light footsteps coming over in our direction. Corey was the first to come over, and waited patiently for Nicole to give him his plate of delectable deliciousness. She placed a stack of pancakes, a mountain of eggs, and a waffle on each of the kids' plates. "Baby, you get DJ a waffle? Please cut it up first:" She glanced in my direction.

"Of course, baby." I smirked. I grabbed a single waffle from the pile, and grabbed a knife. I cut it into very small pieces that wouldn't choke our son to death. I smiled as DJ plainly reached for the plate, panting like a little puppy dog.

I gave him the plate he's been longing for, and he shoved his mouth full of the delicious waffle. Nicole walked over, and took his fist out of his mouth. "Slow down, son. You're gonna choke." She stated calmly. DJ looked at her with a confused look on his face.

She started feeding him with a plastic fork, and he happily let her do it. DJ even started grabbing her wrist, and pulling the fork towards his mouth. She chuckled under her breath, and used a napkin to clean off his face. I fixed her a plate, and she began feeding herself.

After she was done eating, she took her plate into the kitchen. Sierra and Corey were getting ready to head to my parents while Nicole and I were in our recording studios. I was finishing a track today I've been working on for a while. It's entitled I Just Can't Stop Loving You. Originally, Nicole and I were going to sing it together. However, our labeled plain out refused that.

Nicole came back into the dining room, and picked up a very impatient toddler. She kissed DJ's forehead before placing him on her hip. "Someone excited to visit Grandma? Yeah?" She cooed brightly as DJ responded excitedly. I chuckled, and kissed her and my son's foreheads.

"Daddy's ready to get to work." I wrapped my arms around her waist.

"Oh, so is Mommy." Nicole glanced down at DJ, who was playing with the hem of his shirt.