Chapter 33: Letters

February 22, 1988
Nicole's POV

As a celebrity, you always have to be prepared for whatever is to come. I've seen it all, from the mobs to the strange imageries and letters that are mailed to you. The past few weeks, I've had this terrifying feeling. I can't explain why though. I've never felt this way before, not even when I was kidnapped.

As much as I hate discussing that time in my life, it's a part of me. Those weeks were the toughest of my childhood. The feeling of being separated from your family is indescribable. I've never felt more empty then I was at that warehouse, bound and tied to a chair.

However, I never knew just how bad it could get. Fame had doused me with some warning signs against the real dangers. Crazed fans, fakers, haters, and stalkers. I've been around the spotlight my entire life, trying to avoid the light that shined through. When I accepted my fate, it was difficult to move.

Fame is a constraint that forbids any normality in one's life. But, you just have to deal with it. I have a service to my fans. I have a service to my husband, and I have a service to my kids. Mostly, I have a service to God. I use the destiny he gave me. Life altered its route from my original plans to this path.

My children are my everything, and they'll always be. I'll protect them with everything that I've got in me. There are times though, when you really can't protect them no matter how much you want to. I stared in horror at the words in front of me.

You messed up my life, and took him from me. He and she will be mine again. My man and daughter belong to me, and you won't be a problem once I get you out the way, you bitch.

~S.... The Silent One

"The hell?" I swallowed deeply. What does this mean? Get me out of the way?

I walked into the foyer to peer out the peephole. The rain blurred out anything I could see so it was pointless. I felt someone's fingertips jab at my arm. I yelped, and turned around with panic coursing through my veins. Michael narrowed his eyes at me, and wrapped his arms around my waist.

"What's wrong, sweetheart?" He whispered, rubbing his fingers along my arm.

"N-Nothing, honey. I'm just checking the security." I stammered. I didn't want to alarm him with the threatening letter. It's probably nothing, and it WILL stay that way. I smiled a little bit to assure him I was alright. "It's nothing, my love."

"What's that?" He pointed to the letter that was clenched in my hand.

"Nothing." I said blatantly, crunching it up into a ball of paper. "Just a prank letter. A delusional fan, I assume you could say." I chuckled falsely. Michael stared at me for a few more minutes. He shook his head before pulling me from the foyer, and into the living room.

"Nicole, you're shaking. Baby, something is wrong, and I know it is. I understand your body language, sweetheart. Don't play me. That's not just a misinterpretation, Nicole. You're acting like someone is threatening you." Michael stated. My breathing hitched. "Give me that." He ripped it away before I could react.

When he got done reading it, his eyes were burning holes through my skull. "Dear god." He mumbled, and wrapped his arms around me. I buried my face into his shoulder, and calmed down slowly. "It's alright, baby. Look, we'll get it investigated. I'm sure this is just a fluke, but we'll be careful."

"She's threatening our daughter, Michael. Who is this bitch?" I bellowed solemnly. "I swear to God if I find this bitch, she'll be falling right into her own grave. She's messing with the wrong person."

"Sweetie, let me handle this. Don't you worry, love. I won't let anything happen, I promise. It's my job to protect you guys." Michael ran a hand across my face affectionately.