Chapter 26: Moment Of Truth

July 4, 1987

"Are you ready, Nippy?" My friend, Robyn rubbed my visibly tense shoulders. She's come to be one of my closest friends that I haven't seen in years. Robyn had agreed to go on tour with me, which made things a lot easier for me. We had flown to Tampa to do our first show, then it would be in Milwaukee the next day.

We were warming up, and getting me ready to do my first show on my first world tour. I prayed to the great lord above that this would be a great show, and people will never ever forget it. Robyn was trying her best to calm me down, but the matter was... The only person who could calm me down was all the way across the country, and he's finishing his record.

"Nicole, it's almost time to go on." One of my managers informed me. I nodded, feeling rather nervous yet strangely eager. I was excited with that adrenaline pumping through my veins, wishing that this will be an outstanding performance. I knew I had something in me. Robyn pulled me aside, and stood across from me.

"Nippy, you got this. Go out there, and show the world you're more than Diana Ross's daughter or Michael's wife. You're a multi-platinum superstar who can wow an audience well on her own." Robyn hyped me. "Go get it!" She pushed me playfully. I nodded in eagerness. Let's just get it started.

It all happened in a slick motion. As we neared, I heard instrumental versions of my songs being performed. The audience was shouting in anticipation, and I was ready to provide them with a shoe stopping spectacle to behold. I took a deep inhale, and waited for my air. The forum was massive, as I later learned over 70,000 people turned up to see my debut performance.

After my first opening was finished, I was cued to go onstage. The audience went nuts as I stepped on the stage with my dazzling outfit. With a microphone placed in my hand, it was clear that I was began to sing my first song. The moment I had anticipated for so long was finally beginning to come to reality.

The best of my second number one began playing. A personal favorite of mine, How Will I Know. I kind of danced in my spot while I waited for my turn to sing.

There's a boy I know, he's the one I dream of
Looks into my eyes, he takes me to the clouds above. Oh, I lose control, I can't seem to get enough, baby! When I wake from dreaming, tell me is it really love, oh darling. How will I know? How will I know? How will I know if he really loves me. I say a prayer with every heartbeat! I fall in love whenever we meet. I'm askin' you cause you know 'bout these things! How will I know, baby. Does he love me?! I know he do! I know yoou do!

If he loves me, tell me does he love me! tell me! Oh, if he loves me not! Ohhhhh, how will I know! Oh, how will I know!

We progressed through the rest of the song until we got into the next song choice, You Give Good Love. The audience was going wild.

I found out what I've been missin' . Always on the run. I've been lookin' for someone.

The audience hummed along with me as the background singers and dancers did the same. Now you're here like you've been before, and you know just what I need. It took some time for me to see, yeah.

That you give good love to me, baby! So gooood, take this heart of mine, baby. Into your hands! You give good love, honey. Never too much, no! Baby, you give good love.

I walked on the opposite end of the stage looking to a handsome young fella in the audience who was looking at me with such admiration. A boy who looked to be around sixteen with his jet black hair slicked, and his brown eyes wondering. He was in the front row, and I pointed towards him. "Come up on stage!" I bowed down to my knees to pull him up.

A few around him began freaking out, but not as much as he was. He took my hand, and began pulling himself up with me. I wrapped my arm around his shoulder, and pulled him close to me. He was gaping as he looked to the audience for assurance that this was real. "You give good love, don't you?" I asked him softly.

He nodded. "Y-Yeah." He muttered shyly into the microphone, and the audience went insane.

"What's your name, honey?" I asked.

"Jared." He replied.

"Well, Jared. Baby, you give good love to me. Never too much, I'd never see. Soo good, take my heart into your hand. Give me good love. Never stopping! I was always searching. For that perfect love. The kind the girls like me of!"

He breathed erratically as I continued singing by him. Now you're here like you've been before and you know just what I need. It took some time for me to seeeeeee! You give good love, baby. "Show 'im!" I shouted to my backup singers.

You... give.. good love, baby
You... give ... good love, honey.

"Yeah, you do." I stated. Jared looked to be in a daze. "Thank you, honey." I kissed his cheek before his friends collected him. I sent him a wink, and he shuddered, almost fainting. I continued on with Love Is A Contact Sport, and Just The Lonely Talking Again. When we came to an end, I thanked them as I went back for a break, and a wrap down.

We went back up to an ecstatic audience. We performed Love Will Save The Day, and excerpts from You're Still My Man and I Know Him So Well. The rest of the show was filled with energetic tracks, and poignant ballads.

It was quite a great experience for a first time show.