Chapter 29: Suspicious Circumstances

February 17, 1973
Michael's POV

"No, I think we should add this in." I suggested. I was only suggesting we add a little more sizzle in our footwork. One of the officials at were crashing our choreography sessions. I think I'm pretty trained when it comes to my dance moves.

"Michael, we have a stuck routine. Now glue yourself to it. You're lucky to even be performing, child. All y'all at this label are." Jeff, the airhead choreographer. I scoffed internally at him. And exactly in what way am I supposed to take it?

"Boys, we're up in five minutes." Suzanne's voice rang throughout the rehearsal hall. "Jeff, I told you to get these damn drums into the closet! God, can you do anything right?"

"Suzanne, I'm just a choreographer. I don't go around doing miscellaneous things. What I do it art." Jeff huffed like a three year old.

"Fine, then spin yourself to unemployment. I'm sure you'll love it. Now get on it!" Suzanne barked. I have to admit, she freaks me just a little. I chuckled under my breath as Jeff pouted, then sulked out of the studio. I squinted my eyes narrowly as he clearly forgot to take out the drums along with him.

"Suzanne..." I trailed off.

"Yeah, he's fired. Barry wasn't keen on him anyways. Poor man wanted to give him a chance." Suzanne explained. "Mind helping, Michael?"

"Sure." I said, picking up a drum. "You have the cymbals?"

"Yes, sir." Suzanne held up a gold-plated cymbal. "Oh, and your mother called. She mentioned Joseph was on his way."

I slumped. "Alright." I staggered out of the rehearsal room, and out of certain hallways. I set them down nicely into the storage closet before softly closing the door.

I walked past down the hallway passing Suzanne, who wished me a good day. I complied, and was well on my way outside. Whenever my feet hit the pavement, I was overcome with relief. Another day was done. It felt nice to have the rest of the day to do however I pleased. I mean, the possibilities are endless.

I was joined by the rest of my brothers in the next few minutes, while I tapped my foot impatiently. I looked around as my brothers grew impatient, and most of them were dragging their feet along the ground. It seemed like half an hour passed as we gave up. He should've been here twenty minutes ago.

I heard the faint sounds of heels taping along the ground. I turned to see Diana walking towards us. "Well, I didn't think I'd see you all here today. You guys waiting for somebody?" She asked as we were standing by the curb.

"Jospeh." I answered. "He hasn't shown up."

"Oh. Well, I can give you guys a lift home if you'd like." Diana offered. I smiled. She's really one thoughtful person for doing that. "I think we can cram you all in."

"Thanks, Diana. We appreciate it." Jackie said for all of us.

"Jackie, no need to thank me. You all are like family. Come on." Diana issued us toward her vehicle. She had recently purchased a Chevrolet Impala Station wagon to accommodate her growing family. Right now they're sitting at three girls. Who knows who's coming next?

"Where's Nicole? I haven't seen her in a week?" Marlon asked me curiously. I shrugged. We've been so busy with our music, I hadn't seen her in a few weeks. Marlon seemed to get my message as he looked to Diana for Nicole's current whereabouts.

"She's babysitting. Those little ones can get rowdy so I think we should get going." Diana pressured.

"Yeah. Let's go." Jermaine mumbled, walking towards Diana's vehicle. After she unlocked the doors, we all hopped inside. The engine roared to life, and we were well on our way. I chuckled when I noticed Tito was nodding off to sleep. About fifteen minutes later, we were pulling into the gate to be greeted by Bill.

After we exchanged a conversation for a minute, we drove up the service road. Diana drove around to the fountain. Once she stopped, we all climbed out and thanked her. Afterwards, she drove home into the distance. I was the first one inside, where I heard the noise erupting in the kitchen.

"Where on this Earth have you been? What happened to being the perceptive father you were? Why didn't you show up?!" Mother seethed. "I asked you to do one thing. Please explain to me this one time!"

"Katie, I told you that there was construction on the highway. It was difficult to get to an exit, and I missed the off ramp!" Joseph hissed right back. "I've told you this."

"Oh, and is that missed exit a five foot seven, blonde white bimbo named Lisa?" Mother narrowed her eyes. My mother is the most patient woman, but I've never seen her this upset before.

What is happening to my family?