Chapter 44: Audition

May 3, 1992
Nicole's POV

"Mommy." A hand hit my face while a small body climbed on me. "Can you play with me?" I shrugged them off, and rolled over. "Momma!" DJ's voice screeched in my ear. I sat up in shock as he tumbled off of my bed screaming. I placed my hand against my chest as I looked down to the floor where my son was complaining of being hurt.

"Ow." He whined.

I sighed, and climbed out of my bed. I squatted down to the ground, and overlooked to see if he had any injuries. "You're okay, baby. I'm sorry." I stated, rubbing his head. I kissed his forehead, and picked him up. It's still hard to believe he's six. My children were growing up way too fast.

"It's okay, Mommy. I shouldn't have scared you." He hugged me, placing his head on my shoulder.

"Are you ready to go back to school on Monday?" I asked. He shook his head.

"School is boring, Mommy. Do I have to go back?" He whined.

"You need an education. If I had to live through all those years of torture, you have to as well." I stated. He just continued to lay his head on my shoulder, breathing softly. "Where's your daddy?"

"Downstairs in the recording studio. He's working on something secret." DJ said in a small hushed tone. I nodded, and kissed his forehead again. I placed him on the ground, and told him to go get dressed. I had a rather stressful day ahead of me.

I was auditioning for a movie role for an upcoming movie. They entitled it The Bodyguard. I wanted to be known as an actress as well. Don't get me wrong, being a singer is heavenly. However, my mother had always told me to be the best I can become. She sure is an influence to me as one of the original black singers to cross over into film.

DJ was long gone out of my room, and it gave me the opportunity to change. I picked out an off the shoulder black tank top, and tight light blue jeans. I also put on some black pumps. My hair was a freaking mess!

I ran back into the bathroom to fix the monstrosity that was my hair. Once I put it up in a collective bun, which surprised me because my hair barely comes to my shoulder when it's straight. I turned grabbed my toothbrush, put some toothpaste on it, and brushed my rancid breath away.

I wrapped my hair into a scarf to protect it from those god awful frizzes. I turned off the bathroom light, and walked through Michael and my bedroom. I reached the door, and I began walking down the hallway. It was suspiciously quiet as nobody seemed to be there.

However, I heard the scattered chatter in the dining area as the gigantic hallway gave away to it. The dining room was actually right behind the stairs, and you had to travel through a giant hallway to get to it. I walked through the archway into the kitchen.

Michael was cooking. Yes, I repeat Michael was cooking! This man was notorious for kitchen fires, and grease floods. Namely, I basically banned him from cooking bacon. A good sign was he hasn't started a fire just yet.

"Am I having a hallucination? I'm not on an hallucinogenic drug right now. You're actually preparing a meal." I made my presence known. Michael looked up to me with a shy smile.

"I've been practicing. And I haven't started a fire in over a year." Michael defended.

"Michael, you haven't cooked in over a year." I narrowed my eyes. "I'm the cook in this family, remember?"

"And that's why when you're on tour, we get takeout." Sierra walked over to the kitchen counter, joining herself in our conversation. "Mom, the fire hydrant is in the pantry, correct?"