Chapter 3: Jonathon

E V A N N A

"I'm really sorry," My mom muttered, as my dad came downstairs with his suitcases.

"Don't apologize," I said, my eyes on my breakfast, not wanting to look up.

"I'm packed," My dad said, and came over to me.

I looked up to face him, and he gave me a sad smile. "I love you, sweetie."

"I love you too, dad."

I look more like my mom, than my dad. I have dark brown, long, wavy hair, and chocolate brown eyes. Dimples on my left cheek, exactly like my mom.

"Goodbye," My dad said, as he got into the car. My mom's hand was on my shoulder, and she gave me a hug as my dad drove off.

"Thank you, for understanding."

"Anything for you, Mom."

***

One week later

I guess I managed living without my dad. Who am I kidding, of course I couldn't. My heart would drop every time I accidentally yelled "Dad," hoping he would come upstairs and help me bring my new books upstairs.

My mom's eyes would soften and she would have a sad smile whenever I expected my dad to be home after school and give me a bear hug like he always did.

I missed him so much. I tried getting used to it... living without him. When I thought I was okay without my dad, I felt sad. Like I felt guilty that I'm forgetting about my dad.

Even though my mom loved him, I guess she moved on way faster.

"Honey! Come downstairs!"

I went down, and saw... a man. Great.

"Sweetie, this is Jonathan." She linked arms with him. "He's my new boyfriend."

It's only been a week. She already found someone?

"Hi sweetheart. Nice to meet you!" He exclaimed, with a grin.

I gave him a small smile, "Hello." I didn't know how I felt about him calling me 'sweetheart.' I walked back upstairs, and went on my phone. My eyes lit up as I got a text from Claire.

Claire: Hey, can we meet at the park in front of my house? I need to talk.

Me: Sure! :)

With my phone in my hand, I grabbed my small bag and went downstairs.

"Where are you going?" My mom asked.

"Park."

"Be back by dinner!"

I ran until I felt tired. I started walking, and before I knew it, I was already at the park. Sitting on a bench was a strawberry-blonde haired girl, with the shirt I got my best friend for her birthday. Smiling, I walked up to her and sat down. "Hey."

She turned to me. "H-hi."

"What did you want to talk to me about?"

She let out a sigh. "I wanted to say I'm sorry."

"Don't be sorry. You didn't do anything wrong."

"That's not true. I yelled at you, and when I said you had a perfect family...I didn't know what was going on at your house. I'm sorry I was selfish and only cared about myself. If I had known that your parents di- if I did, I wouldn't have said anything I didn't mean."

"Selfish? You're not selfish. I understand, we all have our situations."

"But I never cared about yours, and I realized that you always are trying your best to help my problems but I never did anything for you. I'm so sorry."

"It's fine. Really. Please don't act like this is your fault. It's not."

A tear fell down her face. "You're always so caring. You really seem like an angel," she chuckled.

I smiled, and gave her a hug. "I have to go. It's almost dinner."

"Me too. I'll see you Monday. Bye."

I walked home, and went inside. The first thing I smelled was pizza. I ran to the dining room and found 2 boxes of pizza. My face lit up as I went to the bathroom to wash my hands. The door opened, and Jonathon came in.

"Oh sorry. I thought it was empty," He said, giving me a smile.

"It's fine," I replied, finishing washing my hands. I reached out to grab a towel, but Jonathan handed one to me. "Here."

"Oh, Thank you," I mumbled, and took it from him. I walked out of the bathroom, but Jonathon put his arm around me, and my eyes widened. I didn't want to make it awkward, but I slid out of his "embrace."

I went downstairs, and started eating pizza.

After eating, I went to my room and got ready for bed. I was too tired to do anything else. I laid on the bed, and closed my eyes. Suddenly, the door opened and I saw Jonathon come in. He closed the door and came to me.

I grabbed my pillow and hugged it closer. "I just wanted to say goodnight."

"Oh. Goodnight," I said, weary of him.

I could see his smile in the dark. "Goodnight, daring."

He left the room and shut the door. All I wanted to do was sleep, but I had a hard time for some reason.