Chapter 26: Ankle

E V A N N A

Nothing was getting better.

In fact, it was getting worse.

It was already the third day of school, and everyone knows who I am. I walk by terrified 6th and 7th graders, sometimes their eyes filled with pity, other times fear.

To add onto that, I've have quadrupled amount of homework. My stepbrothers are asking—no, ordering, me to do their homework.

I walk into the school, and go to the table Summer and Natalie is at. Summer looks at me with sad, sorrow eyes. "Y-you cut?"

My eyes widened. "What?"

"It's all over school..." Natalie murmured. "They're spreading rumors. That you're depressed. Suicidal. That you hurt yourself..."

No, no, no, no... this can't be happening.

The bell rang and I rushed to my locker. As I past a group of girls, they shouted at me, "Cutter!"

I gritted my teeth, staring at the words scratched onto my locker.

"Bitch."

"Cutter."

"Kill yourself."

"Fatass."

I wanted to scream. Cry. I wanted to leave. I put my bag away and went to first period. Before I could reach my classroom, I tripped over a leg, making me drop my binder. Papers flew out as I winced at my aching knees and elbows.

"Watch where you're going," Jayden growled.

I picked up my stuff and went to my class.

***

"Summer!" I shouted, walking to our table.

Summer has been ignoring me.

"Summer, talk to me," I begged, sighing next to her.

She got up and went to a different table. Now, I really felt like crying. My heart clenched and I was in so much pain.

Why didn't Summer want to be friends anymore?

Why is she ignoring me?

It's because she doesn't like you.

She doesn't want to be friends anymore.

It's because you're not good enough.

It's because you're worthless.

"I-I don't know what's wrong with her," Natalie stammered. "I'll go talk to her." She left the table, leaving me all alone.

Another friend you lost.

Don't you get it? No one likes you.

"Stop eating, fatass!" A boy said, throwing my lunch on the floor.

A girl came up to me. "I heard you had eating disorders too. What was it? Anorexia? Bulimia?"