Chapter 52: Christmas Special Part 2

E V A N N A

"Can I go to the park for a few minutes?" I asked.

Rose raised her eyebrows. "For what? Your boyfriend waiting for you?"

"No!" I exclaimed, scrunching my face up. "I don't have one!"

"I'd be shocked if anyone liked her," Jayden said under his breath.

Dad wasn't talking to me at all. I felt invisible to him. I was invisible to him.

We finished eating the cookies and brownies Rose and I made. We got closer to each other, and it was a fun experience. Although I missed my mom terribly.

"Sure, honey. Have fun. Be back by dinner so we can open presents!" Rose smiled.

"Thank you!" I said, running upstairs.

I grabbed my coat and my phone. I went back downstairs and walked out of my house. I started my way to the park, shivering as the cold wind blew on me. It was pretty cold outside.

"Evanna!" Matthew grinned, coming towards me. "You're here."

I smiled back. "Hey Matthew. Merry Christmas."

"Let's go sit," he said, and we both sat down on the bench near the playground.

"Why'd you call me here?" I asked.

"Well, remember when I said I liked you? And I also said some things I should have apologized for but I didn't. I'm sorry about what I said. And yes, it is true. I like you," he replied.

To be honest, I really didn't know how to reply to that. "It's okay. B-but... why do you like me? There's so many prettier girls out there and smarter girls but... why me?"

He leaned against the bench, smiling. "Because."

"Because what?"

"Because."

I pouted. "But there's way better girls and—"

"But I like you."

I couldn't describe the feeling I had at this moment. I was happy because someone liked me, but I personally didn't want to be involved with that stuff right now. Maybe in high school or college, but right now, I wanted to focus more on school.

"You don't have to like me back," Matthew said, smiling. "I just wanted you to know I like you."

We stared into each other's eyes. And without thinking, I blurted, "I like you too."

Matthew's smile got ten times bigger, and he looked really happy. It made me feel happy when I saw him. "But I think we can both agree on one thing."

I nodded. "Yeah."

"We just like each other for now. Not boyfriend or girlfriend thing yet..."

I shook my head. "Nope."

But still, Matthew held the most happiest smile I have ever seen. And this seems really cliché and cheesy, but I couldn't believe it either.