Chapter 32: Stealing

E V A N N A

"You thought just because I was being nice, I was going to be like that forever?" Ethan sneered at me, hitting me head.

I flinched, keeping my head down.

"You still owe me $90," Ethan said.

I stared at him. "H-how am I supposed to get that?"

He rolled his eyes. "Don't you have money?"

I switched my gaze to the wall behind him. "You guys t-took it all."

He sighed. "Well, find a way. I want $90 by Friday."

"B-but I can't-"

He slapped me. "Do what I say, and don't talk back."

My cheek stung. They really can't go one day without beating me up. Dad and Rose were away. They were always gone. We were alone most of the times. Ethan glared at me before shoving me out of his way. He slammed his door room shut and I was left alone in the hallway.

$90 by Friday? It was Tuesday, and I had no way of getting that much money. I grabbed my jacket and went out the door, my arms wrapped around me.

Brandon was at football practice. So was Andrew and Alex. Daniel had gone over to a friend's house, and Jayden was somewhere. I never knew where he was. But it wasn't like I cared. I was fine with everyone being out of the house.

"E-Evanna?"

I turned around and saw Summer. I smiled. "Hey."

"I'm sorry. I haven't been talking to you at school. Or answering your texts and calls. I just felt really bad and-"

I furrowed my eyebrows. "It's fine. You shouldn't be sorry. You didn't do anything."

Summer looked like she was about to cry. "I'm sorry. I'm such a bad friend. I've always wanted a friend, but as soon as I had you, I treated you so badly."

"You probably we're going through something too. Don't be sorry. It's okay," I told her, offering a smile.

"Did you get hit?" She asked, taking me by surprised.

"W-what?"

"Your face... it's red." She stepped closer to me. "Are you okay?"

I took a step back, pushing down the feeling of embarrassment. "No, I just bumped into something. It doesn't hurt."

She stared at her shoes. "Evanna, I really want to be a good friend, but I don't know how to. This is my first time, so please understand if I'm not the best."

I wanted to hug her. I wanted to tell her how amazing she was. How smart, and funny, and kind she was. "You are a good friend."

Her lips lifted into a small smile. "Thanks. I'll see you tomorrow."

"Bye."

I watched her walk off, and I desperately went around, looking for a place I can get money. I wish Ethan would just let this time go. I didn't mean to lose it. I was walking around until I heard my name being called.