Chapter 55: Goodbye, friends

E V A N N A

I dreaded going to school. I didn't want to see Matthew. I stared at the front entrance, watching students go in. I sighed as I continued my way in and went to the table I always met Summer and Natalie.

"Hey, girlie. You okay?" Natalie asked, coming up to me.

"Yeah, I'm fine," I lied, smiling.

"Hi guys!" Summer said, sitting down. "Did you hear? Matthew's in the hospital!"

My heart dropped. "W-why?"

Summer frowned. "I don't know. I think a group of people beat him up or something. Poor Matthew. He suffered a lot of injuries."

"Oh..."

"Seriously," Summer muttered. "What kind f heartless humans would do that? Matthew had broken ribs, a broken arm, and he isn't waking up!"

The bell rang, and we headed to our lockers. We said goodbyes, and I took out my binder from my bag.

"Hey, Evanna," Sammy said, coming up to me. "Are you okay?"

I nodded. "I'm fine."

"I heard Matthew is in the hospital. What happened to him?" He asked.

I shrugged. "I don't know... I hope he's okay."

Sammy sighed. "You're worried about him? Even after everything he did to you?"

I started walking to class, Sammy following. "I was really upset. I don't know why I care so much."

"Evanna, I understand. But, he called you names and he lied about your friendship. I think you should forget him," Sammy said.

"Maybe I should..." I muttered.

I sat down in my seat, taking out my homework. I stared at Matthew's seat.

Do I still like him?

You shouldn't. He betrayed you.

No, I don't like him. We're not friends. He betrayed me.

Class started, and everything was going well until my left arm started throbbing in pain. Panic filled me as I realized two or three of the cuts started bleeding again.

I tried covering it, but it was no use.

Owen already saw.

And he was going to make me miserable because of that.

"Mr. Neal!" Owen said, raising his hand. "I'm trying to focus, but the blood on Evanna's arm is distracting me and making me feel sick. I think she has to go to the nurse."

My panic filled eyes watched as Mr. Neal came over to me, frowning. "Blood?"

"What happened here?" He asked, slightly lifting my sleeve. His eyes widened and he looked very overwhelmed. "U-uh..."

"You should've kept going until you killed your self," one girl snickered.

"What an attention seeker."