Chapter 59: Happier

E V A N N A

"Dinner!" Rose yelled.

I went out of my room, only to be pushed by Jayden.

Jayden glared at me with a cold face. "Watch where you're going."

"What about you watch where you're going?" Daniel asked Jayden, patting his head.

This obviously pissed Jayden off. "Fuck off."

I looked away as I went downstairs and sat down next to Daniel and Alex.

"Oh yeah," Daniel spoke up. "Evanna said someone knocked her phone out of her hand and it broke."

Rose's eyes widened. "Your phone broke?"

"But why isn't Evanna saying this?" Dad asked.

I stared at Dad. Why was he pretending to care? I nudged Daniel's leg with mine, letting him know I was thankful for him saying it to them for me, because I was terrified.

I'm sure my dad would have yelled at me if I told him instead of Daniel.

But besides that, I felt better. Rose said she'll get me a new phone which wasn't a big deal, and I had my friends back.

My life started going back on track, and I started feeling happier.

"Instead, can I go buy her a phone after dinner?" Ethan asked, taking a sip of water.

Rose grinned. "That sounds like a wonderful idea. You two should go together."

Just say it, Evanna. You'll be fine.

"Thanks," I said, "Mom..."

Rose's smile got bigger, and Dad stared at me. I felt Jayden tense and I could see that he was getting angry again, but at that moment, I didn't care.

My brothers stared blankly for a second but then started to smile.

Yes, I missed my mom dearly, and yes, seeing her one last time will finally give me the closure I need, but I decided it wouldn't hurt to start calling Rose Mom, seeing that we're a family now.

It took a lot of work trying to ease into this, but I finally did.

I'm not a bad person, am I?

I'm never going to forget my mom, but I'll start calling Rose Mom from now on.

"What happened to your face?" She asked.

I tried to hide the fear in my voice. "I got hit my a basketball. It hurt a lot and now there's a bruise on my face..."

I completely forgot about it.

Rose nodded wearily. "Will you be alright?"

"Yeah. The nurse said I just need some ice."

She smiled. "That's a relief. I was worried."

Besides this, I couldn't stop thinking about everything. My friends, my brothers, my family.