Chapter 54: Trust & Betrayal

E V A N N A

"Stop!" I yelled, laughing.

Sammy sprayed me with the hose, drenching me in water. "Make me!"

Matthew started spraying me too. This was so unfair. Two against one. We were playing with the hose outside of a volunteering center, in the middle of December. Stupid, I know.

Matthew, Sammy and I decided to volunteer for a gardening community. It was only two days, but it was really fun. We got the job that involved outside and water.

"Matthew! Sammy! Stop it!" I screamed, running away.

They chased after me, laughing. I grabbed my own hose and started spraying them with water.

"Matthew!" I yelled. "Traitor!"

"Fine!" Matthew grinned as he directed the hose to Sammy.

Sammy shouted at him to stop but we kept spraying each other, for what seemed like eternity. I was having a lot of fun.

"Okay, your volunteer hours are o— what in the world?" Our volunteer teacher, Oliva screamed. "Guys!"

She was a high school volunteer who was 17 years old. She goes to the same school my brothers go to, but I didn't tell her that. Olivia was really nice and pretty. I was surprised she didn't have a boyfriend.

Matthew turned around and accidentally sprayed her with water. "Oops."

Olivia screamed. "Matthew!"

Matthew dropped the hose, putting his hands up in surrender. "Sorry."

Olivia laughed. "Anyway, your volunteer hours are in the front service room. I'll see you Friday!"

Matthew, Sammy, and I walked to the front, clothes dripping with water.

"Thank you," I murmured, taking the volunteer hour form from the front lady who was staring at us in horror.

"Aren't you cold?" She asked.

"I am," I replied, laughing.

She nodded slowly. "I'll see you in two days, have a good day."

We walked out, but I was shivering because I forgot my jacket in Ethan's car.

"Here," Matthew said, draping his jacket across my shoulders.

"You'll be cold—"

"Here," Sammy said, putting his jacket on me, knocking off Matthew's.

This was awkward...

"What do you think you're doing?" Matthew asked Sammy."

"Giving her my jacket, back off," Sammy replied.

Matthew scoffed. "So you threw my jacket off of her?"

Sammy smiled. "I didn't throw it. I pushed it. There's a difference."