Chapter 45: Re-introductions

E V A N N A

"I told you!" Andrew shouted. "I told you you were going to get sick! See? This is why I didn't want you to go to school. I told you!"

I frowned. "Are you happy...or upset?"

He laughed. "Both. Happy that I was right, but upset because you collapsed this morning while trying to get breakfast."

I closed my eyes. "That happens a lot."

"What? You fainting?" Andrew asked

I nodded. "My mom told me I used to faint a lot when I was a kid. I don't know why. I've gotten used to it. Now it's not as bad. I don't faint that often, and it's not so severe anymore. I wake up in about 5 minutes."

"Oh..." Andrew trailed off. "Did anything else happen when you were young?"

"No, I don't remember much. I got into an accident when I was... 12? It wasn't that long from today. Maybe a few months. I lost my memories, but I got some memories of my parents back."

He sighed. "So, you're mother died?"

"Car accident."

He looked away. "Jayden would understand. I feel sorry for him. His dad died, and when he came here, he didn't know why or how his dad died. No one told him. He couldn't even attend his funeral. Whenever we ask about Dad, Jayden gets upset and doesn't talk."

"But," Andrew continued. "I know that he's going through a really hard time. With this tough-act, it seems like he's mean, but really, he's really nice. I think that our dad's death affected him a lot."

Andrew looked at me. "Anything else you want me to know?"

I thought for a second. "I'm allergic to peanuts?"

"You are?" Andrew asked.

I smiled. "Yeah. And Brandon's lovely joke of putting peanuts in my food was fun."

"Shit," Andrew swore. "Uh, oops. But I'm sorry about that. We didn't know-"

"Yes you did."

He looked speechless. "D-did we?"

I nodded. "Yup."

"Oops."

I couldn't help but laugh. "It's okay."

"Why are you forgiving us so easily though? I know I've asked this many times but I'm just really curious."

I shrugged. "I don't know. Everyone deserves a second chance. We're human. We all make mistakes."

He stood up, giving me a sad smile. "I'm really sorry. When you're feeling better, come downstairs."

"Don't you have school?" I asked.

He walked to the door. "Right... I'll see you later!"

***

All morning I was resting until my head felt better. At 3, I heard the front door open. I went to my door and saw Jayden heading to the stairs, his headphones on.