Chapter 23: Back To School Shopping

E V A N N A

"Jayden, give her the list," Ethan said, starting the car.

Jayden threw a crumpled piece of paper at me. It hit my head, and when I opened it up it was a school supply list.

"You guys know what you're buying, right?" Ethan asked. "Don't buy anything stupid, and don't get lost. Only buy what's on your list, got it?"

"Yes, Dad," Brandon mumbled, earning a smack on the head from Ethan.

"Shut the fuck up, Brandon."

Once we reached Target, we got out, and walked in. We all separated to buy our stuff. After two hours, we finally went to pay.

"That will be $306.96, please," the cashier said.

Ethan took out his wallet and gave her the money. He took the receipt and put everything in the bag.

"Carry it," Ethan told me.

"All of it?" I asked in disbelief. There were over 10 bags, all of them heavy.

"Are you stupid? Yeah, all of it."

Grabbing multiple bags in my hands, we walked out. The bags were heavy and my hand started hurting. All of the sudden, Jayden knocked into me, making me drop all of the bags. Everyone turned their heads to me, staring at everything on the floor.

"Are you that fucking weak?" Brandon asked.

"J-Jayden-" I was cut off.

"She didn't watch where she was going," Jayden said, walking away.

I started putting everything back in the bags and carried them to the car.

***

"Tomorrow is the first day of school, I hope you guys are excited!" Rose chirped, sitting down on the couch. "And I don't expect any stupid behaviors from you guys, understood?"

"Just because your mom is head of the education board of your school and other districts, it does not mean you guys can do anything." Dad added.

Apparently, Rose worked for the education board. I didn't know how much power she had, but from the looks of it, she had a lot of power over the school.

"I hate school." Andrew pouted.

"Who doesn't?" Alex agreed.

"I'm only excited to see my friends," Daniel said.

"You have friends?" Brandon asked, causing the others to laugh except Daniel, Rose, and Dad.

"Brandon, be nice. Don't say that," Rose scolded.

"Right. Sorry."

"Since it's almost school, what do you guys want for dinner?" Dad asked.

"Can we go to that fancy restaurant, uh, what was it? The one that serves those amazing peanut pastries? With the delicious chicken and the waffles-" Daniel babbled.