Chapter 16: Sick

E V A N N A

"Oh my gosh! You have a fever!" Rose exclaimed. I was on my bed, Rose and Dad besides me. I have been coughing all night and I was cold. My head hurt like crazy and I felt nauseous.

"38.8 Celsius is high... we should go to a doctor," Dad mumbled, feeling my forehead.

"I'm fine," I tried telling them. It was just a fever, nothing too big.

"It's not fine, Evanna. If we don't treat your fever, it can get worse," Rose said.

"If I don't treat your fever, it can get worse," 

My mother had always said that to me whenever I was sick. She used to stay up all night making sure I was okay.

"Evanna, you're crying. If it hurts that much we should-"

"Please, I don't want to go to the hospital." If I do, I'll just miss my mom even more. The hospital smell would just remind me of my mom coming home, smelling like the hospital. I loved hospitals and their smell. I don't know why. I felt like I'm just going to break down in the hospital.

"Evanna, I seriously think we should go," My Dad said.

I shook my head and closed my eyes. "I don't want to. Can't you go and get medicine or something?"

"We should get you checked up," Rose urged. "Let me go check if I have any medicine here for you."

Dad and Rose left, leaving me to rest.

"Someone's sick?" I heard Andrew's voice by my door. "Poor Evanna."

"Are you sure it's just a fever? Maybe Evans syndrome?" Alex said.

Did they just... Evans Syndrome? Really? I sat up and looked at them. Andrew laughed, "Is it contagious?"

"Or maybe you have PAR, Paris," Alex said, using my middle name. How did he know my middle name? PAR is a disease but...

"Doesn't PAR only affect pigs?" Andrew asked, teasingly. "Hm, I guess it can affect Evanna over here then."

I didn't want to cry, but it stung. Those words hurt. They're really heartless. They laughed and walked away, and a few minutes later, Rose and Dad arrived.

"We don't have anything for you, Evanna. There was nothing we could find that would be okay for you. I really think we have to see a doctor."

I sighed, knowing I won't be able to convince them. I walked out with them, and on my way out, Alex coughed, muttering "PAR," under his breath. I ignored him and went to the car. I hated that name.

***

I popped 2 pills in my mouth and swallowed them with water. I took another 2 and did the same. I did it once more... That was all my medication. I needed 6, and had to swallow them every 7 hours. I scrolled through my phone, sitting on my bed.

I got a text from an unknown number, and when I opened it, I was as equally shocked and mad.

'Hey PAR, nice nickname!'

I knew it was one of my stepbrothers, but I didn't know who. It could have been the twins, but they probably told everyone else. Also, how did they get my phone number? Soon, messages started blowing up my phone. I was invited to a group chat, and everyone was spamming.

"PAR"

"What an idiot"

"Don't come near us, Evan... we don't want to catch your disease."

"Evans syndrome? Damn, Alex and Andrew. You guys are smarter than I thought."

"Than you thought?"

"Evanna, don't be a fucking snitch."

"Or a bitch, but she's naturally one, so."

I tried leaving the conversation, by as soon as I did, I was invited back in. I muted the texts and shut off my phone. Why do they hate me so much? I started reading, until Rose came up with dinner.

"Y-you didn't have to do all of this," I murmured, staring at the food on the tray.

"Only for you!" Rose teased, and placed it down on my desk. "Eat if you're hungry. If you feel sick, you don't have to. They said chicken soup is good for you when you're sick."

I thanked her and she left. Rose reminded me of mom too much. She did the same thing every time I was sick.

When I checked my phone, it was hot and wasn't working as fast as usual. When I checked the group chat, they had sent 800+ messages.

"Lucky bitch..."

"Mom seriously brought her food?"

"Mommy's girl."

"Someone's taking your place, Jaiden."

"Shut the fuck up, Danielle."

"Fuck you."

"Likewise."

Reading through all the messages, I managed to figure out who's who. I started eating while watching some videos on YouTube. When I finished, I brought the food downstairs and saw everyone else eating.

"You didn't have to bring it," Rose said, taking the tray from my hands.

"No, let her bring it." Ethan mumbled, and Rose shot him a glare. Rose brought the food to the sink and smiled at me. "Eat your medication at 8, Okay?"

"Okay mom," I said, and guilt rushed through me as I realized I called her mom. It was just that they were so similar and... I hated myself right now. I wanted to disappear. I didn't mean to call her mom. The way she said everything sounded like my mom.

"You should go upstairs and rest," Rose told me gently, and I rushed upstairs. I cried, realizing how much I missed my mom. I wish she was here.

***

Hi, everyone... There's this problem with italics and it's not working for me. Whenever I use them, I save it, but when I come back it's back to normal font.

Q: Who's your least favorite stepbrother?

Thanks for reading everyone! Love you all <3

Vote
Comment
Share
:)