Chapter 20: Coming Back Again

E V A N N A

I have to admit, they were smart. They would only hurt places where it could be covered up easily. They aimed for my stomach, and by now it was a dark shade of purple, blue, and black. My face was a little bruised, but it was hidden under a layer of foundation and concealer. I had to steal them from Rose to cover it up.

"I'm pretty sure you need more makeup to cover that ugliness of yours," Owen said, looking up from his phone.

I ignored him and started reading.

"Nerd," I heard him mumble.

"Come down to eat," Daniel said from the doorway. We went down, and I sat in between Dad and Owen.

"So, Owen, you recently moved here?" Dad asked.

"Yes, my mom got a job here," Owen replied.

"What school are you going to?"

"Same school as Jayden," Owen answered, "Willow Creek Middle School."

That name was familiar, and I realized it was the school Summer went to. If Owen goes to the same school as Jayden, and Jayden knows Claire, she probably is at the same school. So if I got there, I'll be with Summer and Claire.

"I can't believe school starts next week," Alex mumbled.

"Evanna, are you excited for school?" Rose asked.

I didn't know. Was I? Claire and Summer might be there, but I had to deal with Owen and Jayden.

"She always loved school," Dad said.

"That's great! And if you need any help, I'm pretty sure Jayden or Owen will help, right?" Rose asked.

"Sure." Jayden replied, not even looking up.

"Yeah, we'll definitely help her." Owen gave me a smile.

After we finished our food, we went outside to look at the sunset. It was beautiful. It was a mixed shade of pink, red, and orange. You could see it's reflection on the lake.

"Let's go swimming tomorrow," Rose suggested.

"I'll just stay inside," I replied.

"You don't want to swim?"

"She can't swim," Brandon said.

"She has a fear of water. She almost drowned before, that's probably why," Dad answered for me.

***

I washed off the makeup. I brushed my teeth and changed. I walked out and went on my bed. It was nice and comfortable. I put my head on the pillow and watched Jayden and Owen talk.

"Stop staring, you're annoying me," Jayden growled, glaring at me.

"Sorry." I quickly adverted my gaze and stared at the ceiling.

I tried to sleep but I couldn't because Owen and Jayden started playing video games on the computer. I mentally groaned as they turned the sound louder to mess with me. I just started to read instead, seeing that I couldn't sleep.