Chapter 56: Falling Apart

E V A N N A

Sammy was a little different, but maybe it's because we've gotten closer. Sammy is still nice to me. He treats me like I'm his best friend. But sometimes, he was off.

"Just another one! It's not much. I just need you to do my math homework. That's all!" Sammy said.

I frowned. "I've been helping you for more than—"

Sammy knitted his eyebrows. "Can't you do something little for me? I know you don't want to lose me too. Come on. It's just one thing. I'm your best friend!"

I bit my lip. "Okay..."

Sammy grinned. "You're the best!"

I started answering his math problems. Sammy patted my head. "You're so smart. I'm so lucky to have you."

I smiled. "I'm so lucky to have you."

"That's true."

I rolled my eyes playfully and kept doing his homework.

At first it was like that. Then it started to change even more.

"Are you sure you want to eat that?" Sammy asked, raising his eyebrows. "I mean... that's a lot of calories you're eating..."

I stared down at my slice of pizza. "Why are you—"

Sammy took my hand and smiled. "I'm saying it as your best friend. Because I'm worried about you. Best friends do that for each other."

Best friends bring you down whenever they have the chance? That's what Sammy's been doing...

Are you doubting your best friend? What kind of friend are you? He's the only one that's sticking by your side. You should be thankful for him.

"I'm sorry," I muttered. "Maybe you're right."

Sammy shook his head. "You do whatever you want."

I threw away my slice of pizza and sat back down, sighing.

And the other day, it went sort of like this...

"I'm the only friend you have. You don't want to lose me, right?" Sammy said, smiling kindly.

I nodded. "Yeah..."

"I won't ever leave you, okay? Everything I'm doing is for you."

And I believed that.

"You can tell me anything you want. I'll always listen," he said.

Natalie and Summer never talked to me. Matthew was still in the hospital. Jayden always tormented me. Cathryn was threatening to send the picture to everyone.

My life was great...

It was another normal school day. Constantly being bullied. The whole school knew me by now. I was the laughingstock of everyone. No one stood up for me when they saw Jayden bullying me.