Chapter 13: Pain

E V A N N A

My parents left the next day. I seemed to pathetic when I begged them to stay, or if I can go with them. I couldn't, and now I was on the couch, watching TV. Ethan came down, and grabbed the remote. He smacked my head with it, hard, and turned the TV off. "You're not allowed to watch anything."

"W-why?"

He scoffed an hit me again. "Don't talk back."

Why couldn't I stand up to him? Am I that terrified of them? I just nodded, looking away. Ethan just grinned, "I can get used to this."

Brandon was at football practice, along with Andrew and Alex. Daniel was at a friend's house, and Jayden was here too.

I knew all of that because I overheard them talking. Ethan sat across from me. "Look, I don't like you. No one does, but let's get something straight. I'm the fucking boss here. If you talk back, you'll pay for it. Don't be a fucking snitch unless you want to die. If you don't listen to whatever I say, you'll regret it."

I just nodded, not wanting to cause any trouble. "Good, now fuck off." I listened to him and went upstairs, sighing. My life's great so far. I really thought everything might get better. They didn't.

***

I was going to go downstairs, but Jayden bumped into me, sending me into the wall. "Watch where you're going, fucking bitch."

"S-sorry," I said, blushing with embarrassment as I realized I stuttered.

Jayden snickered, "You're such a fucking loser."

He went downstairs, and I was mad at myself for being weak. Why was I so afraid of them?

Because they can make your life miserable.

It was miserable from the start.

It was dinner and everyone had come back. "You're not allowed to fucking eat," Daniel mumbled, taking a seat.

I stared at him in disbelief, "What?"

"I said you're not allowed to fucking eat," he repeated, taking a bite of his pasta.

"That's not fair," I argued. Big mistake.

"You wanna know what's not fair? A fucking girl coming into our life as our new "sister" and ruining everything!" He stood up and stomped over to me. "It's not fair that I have to fucking live with you. And besides, you don't need to eat. You're too fat."

Those words struck me.

You're too fat.

I felt insecure and self conscious. Was I really fat?

Daniel just smirked, and walked back to his seat to start eating. Then, everyone else started crowding the dining table. Everyone was seated except me.

"What the fuck are you waiting for? Get out?" Andrew said, staring at me. I hadn't eaten anything today, but I guess I didn't need to.

You're too fat.

I walked upstairs, ignoring the insults they were shouting at me.