Chapter 31: Shopping Incident

E V A N N A

I wanted my dad's love. I missed it. I missed his warmth, and his affection. All of it has gone to my stepbrothers. The obviously noticed, and always made fun of me.

"Your Dad likes his stepchildren more than you!" Daniel howled with laughter.

I was willing myself not to cry. We were all eating at the dining table except Dad and Rose, who were out.

"See? What did I tell you? No one loves you," Ethan added.

"I'm sorry. For everything I've done to you guys. I don't know what exactly I did, but I'm sorry," I said.

This was how badly they affected me. I was begging them to forgive me for something I never did, hoping to earn their love too. If they like me, maybe Dad will love me again. It's not only that though, they terrified me.

"Don't eat anymore. You're fat enough. Go upstairs." Brandon ordered.

I stared at him for a moment. He turned his head towards me with an intimidating stare. "Are you deaf? Did you just hear what I said?"

Knowing I had no other choice, I got up and went upstairs. Why couldn't I stand up for myself? How hard was it to say no? I wanted everything to go back to what it used to be like. My loving father and alive mother next to me. Claire linking her arms around mine while we walked to the ice cream store. I missed it all.

"Evanna!" I heard someone shout. It sounded like Ethan, and I went downstairs.

"Yeah?" I asked.

"Yes," Ethan corrected.

"Yes," I mumbled, mentally sighing.

"Go buy some things." He handed me a list and shoved me to the door. "Now."

"C-can I get my jacket?" I asked, staring at the trees that were shaking wildly.

"No! Just go!" He urged, shoving me again.

I put on my shoes and left, hoping the long sleeved shirt I had was enough to keep me warm. The fabric was thin though. I quickly ran to the store that was the closest which turned out to be Plaker. I went in, sighing when the warm breeze hit me. I stared at the list and started making my way around Plaker. There were a lot of things.

"That will be $89.57," the cashier said. For the first time, Ethan gave me money to pay with. I handed her the money and payed, putting the items into the bags. There was about 5 bags I had to carry, and they were all heavy.

It got warmer outside, but it was still chilly. It was already dark, even though it was only 7. I walked back to my house. I felt someone grab the back of my shirt and yank me away. It was a dark alley, and I landed harshly on my knees. The bags dropped onto the floor, spilling everything I bought.

I looked up and saw a boy standing in the middle along with two other boys on his side, and two girls leaning against the wall. One of the girls snickered, "Is she poor or something? Why does she look like that?" She had pink hair.

"Obviously she's not poor. Look at what she bought," the other girl said.

They looked like they were in college, maybe.