Chapter 63: I Hate My Life

E V A N N A

My dad slapped me.

And it hurt. A lot.

He's never hit me before.

Emotions flushed through me and I brought my hand up to my left cheek. I was in shock, but I also felt like breaking down.

How could my dad do this?

"I'm sick and tired of you causing problems everywhere!" Dad yelled at me, coming closer.

I shrank back in fear, scared that he might hit me again. This was way too familiar.

"Dad! Stop it!" Ethan yelled, holding Dad back.

"Ethan! Stay out of it!" Dad yelled back.

"What kind of dad are you?" I blurted, my voice barely a whisper.

"What did you just say to me?" Dad's face turned red from anger.

"I said, what kind of dad are you?" I repeated, louder this time, trembling. "How could you do this to your own daughter?"

"Evanna, don't even start," Dad warned.

"No! Don't tell me what to do!" I shot back. "I can't even call you my dad anymore!"

"I'll slap you again if you don't stop this instant!" He yelled.

"Go ahead! Slap me!" And anger surged through me as I stared at my brothers. "It's not the first time I've been slapped."

Ethan looked taken back. "E-Evanna—"

"Ev, calm down—" Dad said sharply.

"Don't call me that! You know what?" I shouted at all of them, tears escaping my eyes. "I hate all of you!"

I pushed past everyone and ran outside. All I wanted to do was get away from there. No one would even care, though. I'm nothing to them.

I ran until my legs felt like they were on fire. I went to the park I always went, and sat down on one of the benches.

I bit my trembling lip, tears streaming down my face. My cheek still stung from the slap.

I must be stupid... running out here without a jacket. Are they even worried about me? Probably not. They don't care...

"Aren't you cold?" I heard a voice ask.

I turned around and saw Sammy. "What do you want?"

"Woah, calm down," he chuckled. "Did something happen?"

I shot up, glaring at him. "You lied to me. How could you do that to Matthew?"

Sammy frowned. "Evanna, I think there's some misunderstanding going on here—"

I took a step back. "I hate you..."

Sammy sighed. "I mean since you already found out, it defeats the purpose of me trying to play along."