Chapter 12: Birthday

E V A N N A

"No!" I heard Jayden growl. "I'm not celebrating with her!"

I was trying to focus on my book, but I got distracted by my mom's picture. I missed her so much. I can't believe I have a stepmom. I felt so mad at myself. 

"If she's going to celebrate her birthday with me, I'm not going to the party!" Jayden yelled and I heard footsteps and the slam of a door.

"Jayden Ryder Smith do you want to be grounded on your birthday?!" Rose shouted.

"I'm already grounded! What's the fucking point?!"

"Jayden! Watch your language!" Rose shouted again, but I heard Dad trying to calm her down.

My birthday's going great so far...

After a while, I came downstairs and stared at the beautifully decorated living room. It had a Happy Birthday hanging on the walls, and on the table was a beautiful cake. I smiled as I walked over to Rose. "This is awesome."

Rose grinned, "we always do this for birthdays." I frowned, remembering what Jayden had said. "Don't worry about him," she said, reading my mind, "he'll get over it. He just has to get used to everything."

I nodded, and went upstairs, only to be slammed in the hallway wall. Jayden pressed his forearm onto my throat, making it difficult to breathe. His icy glare intimidated me, making me want to shrink in fear. "Listen, bitch," he sneered, "this is my birthday, not yours." He was 5'5, and I was only 5'2. He was taller, and stronger.

"Y-you're overreacting," I managed, each second making it harder and harder to breathe, "it's just a birthday."

That only fueled his anger. The pressure of his arm was so hard, it started to hurt. "Don't do anything you'll regret."

He removed his arm and walked back into his room, leaving me trying to catch my breath, trembling. I felt weak and pathetic. I couldn't defend myself.

***

I was finally turning a teen. I felt happy, until everything crashed down again. My mom, I missed her so much. I fidgeted with the bracelet she got me, tears in my eyes. I hated my life so much right now. Everything was a mess. I was stuck in a empty hole, with nothing but darkness. I was trapped in what felt like a nightmare that would last forever.

But stories have happy endings, right?

Sadly, not all of them...

Since everything was going so wrong, my depression hit me harder. It was like the days after my mom's death. I hated myself. I hated my life. Depression told me, hey, it would be the perfect time to hate everything about you, huh?

When I looked at myself in the mirror, I could point out everything I hated about myself. I felt ugly, and fat. I wished one day, I would be like every normal person, and wake up to see someone that I actually liked.

One tear escaped from my eyes, followed by another. At that moment, I didn't know why, but I hated myself.

"Evanna! Come down! Let's celebrate!" Dad shouted. I wiped my tears and washed my face, hoping it wouldn't be obvious that I cried. I went downstairs, a fake smile plastered onto my face.