Chapter 49: First Detention Ever

E V AN N A

I leaned my head against Brandon's shoulder as we watched the news.

"A male, 38 years old, named Jonathon Millers was found at an alley way, unconscious, along with two other males, identified as John Brown, and Raymon Richards. They tried to sexually assault an eight grade female, and before that, they tried assaulting many other young females. All three are arrested and sentenced 12 years in jail—"

Brandon shut off the Tv. "That's more like it. You said he was in jail for 1 year? Bullshiiiivering! A-are you cold? Because you look like you were shivering!"

I stared at him, and he stared back awkwardly. Brandon sighed. "I don't know how this brother thing works. I know I've done really messsed up things to you and I'm sorry. I'm warming up to you. And the not cursing thing is hard."

I gave him a small smile.

My hair was in a messy bun, and I had an oversized knit sweater that came to my thighs. I was wearing shorts under, and I absolutely loved the sweater. It's so comfy and warm.

"I'm sorry," he said.

Reassuring smile.

He frowned. "You haven't talked the whole day. Are you okay?"

I nodded. I just didn't feel like talking. I felt like my voice wouldn't work. I couldn't explain it.

"Rest," he told me. "You should sleep. You barely got any sleep. You were waking up from nightmares all night."

"Why're you being so nice?" I muttered sleepily.

"Because I realized what I was doing was messed up and no one should treat someone like that. I'm sorry."

"You saved my life. Thank you," I said.

"Yeah? Well you owe me," Brandon teased.

"Really? I think that canceled out from everything you did to me," I teased back.

"Okay, okay. But I'm sorry," He said.

"Aren't you going to school?" I asked.

"Ditching."

I shook my head. "You shouldn't ditch school. You have to go to school and learn."

"Too much drama," he explained.

"I bet you're the one who causes most of them," I mumbled.

"That's.... true... but Andrew and Alex do it too," Brandon said.

"Mhmm. That's great," I said, slowly falling asleep.

I heard Brandon chuckle and I felt my body being picked up. He carried me to my bed and I fell asleep.

————

"Holy crap! I was so worried! Why do you stop coming to school all the time?" Summer asked frantically.

I gave her a smile. "I'm okay. I was busy."

She huffed as we went into the school. "Fine."