Chapter 48: Where Everything Started Turning Around

B R AN D O N

"You're a douchebag," Ethan commented.

Our school ended early because someone set off the fire alarm as a prank, made everyone evacuate, and then locked every single door in the school. We had to go home without most things. At least I have my phone. It was a stupid prank, but also hilarious. We got out at 1:30, so about three hours earlier than normal.

I rolled my eyes. Ethan turned to Andrew and Alex, who were on the couch next to us, eating pizza. "And you two are crazy."

Ethan stood up, sighing. "This is what I have to deal with every fucking day. A douchebag, a copy of that douchebag, the kid that barely does anything, and two grounded brothers for pulling the fucking fire alarm!"

Andrew stood up. "It was funny!"

"And most people were happy!" Alex argued.

Ethan grabbed a cup from the counter. "Yeah? Was it funny to the teachers? They had to call someone to get the doors open!"

"But you have to admit, it was smart. We got everyone to steal the teachers keys and hide them!" Andrew high fived Alex.

"Wait, a copy douchebag?" I asked, laughing. "You mean Daniel?"

"Yes!" Ethan exclaimed. "Honestly I don't know why I haven't moved out yet."

"Why am I a douchebag?" I asked, well knowing the answer. I just wanted to know what Ethan thought.

Everyone went silent. I rolled my eyes again. "Really?"

"Are you actually asking that question?" Ethan asked in disbelief.

"You really don't know?" Andrew asked.

I shook my head, even though I obviously knew. "Nope."

"You're literally abusing Evanna!" Alex yelled.

I sighed. "Oh please, like you didn't? You weren't so nice either, if I remember correctly."

Andrew glared at me. "At least we apologized."

"Only after you found out she was depressed and shit. You should have treated her nicely either way," I said.

Ethan mouth dropped. "You're saying this. You are saying this. Why don't you treat her nicely?"

I shrugged. "I don't like her."

"Why? Because she's part of our family?"

I shrugged once again. "Sure. I don't know. She's just really annoying. And besides, she's too forgiving. Bet, if I apologized, she would forgive me right away."

Alex sighed. "That's Who She is. Instead of most people forgiving but not forgetting, Evanna does both. She forgives, and pretended everything we said to her didn't happen because she wants everyone, including herself to be happy."

"Isn't that selfish?" I asked. "She's doing it so she could be happy?"

Alex stood up. "If I was her, I'd commit suicide. Do you know how strong she is? Holding onto her life? I think she deserves some happiness."