Chapter 33: Don't Make Promises You Can't Keep

E V A N N A

When Ethan found out about me trying to steal, he was furious.

"You were trying to steal?" Ethan yelled in my face, making me shrink in fear. "Are you stupid?"

  Apparently, one of Ethan's friends were watching me steal from the window. I was curious, though. Why did Ethan even care about me trying to steal?

"If someone finds out that you tried to steal, and they also found out you're our step sister, do you know how badly it's going to make the rest of us look?"

There was the answer.

"E-Ethan..." I muttered, "I'm sorry. Can I please go?"

He smirked. "Why? You don't want to miss out on the fun, do you?."

He grabbed my hair and I yelped in pain. He dragged me down the stairs and through the basement. Ethan shoved me into one of the rooms and slammed the door shut. Panic rose in me as I tried to find the light switch. When I felt a switch under my hands, I flickered iron and off but the lights didn't come on—it was broken.

Now I was stuck in complete darkness, in a small room with nothing. This room was empty. I felt tears well in my eyes as I tried to calm myself down. How long will he keep me here? When will I be able to go out? Why is he doing this to me?

I fumbled with the doorknob, trying to get it open.

Don't try. It's locked, you idiot.

I sighed. I was alone with my thought. That was probably the most dangerous thing that could ever happen to me.

You're a thief.

You're mother would be so disappointed in you.

No, ashamed. Ashamed that she has a daughter like you.

You deserve to rot and die.

You're honestly worthless.

Die. Die. Die. Die. Die. Die. Die. Die.

I burst out crying. I wanted to disappear forever. I don't want to live. Why am I even alive? I want to die.

It became colder, and I don't know if I was going crazy, but the pitch black room got darker. I was shivering, my arms wrapped around me for warmth. Now I was sitting here, emotionless. It felt like termite. I felt like I was going to lose my mind.

Dad isn't coming home until tomorrow evening. How long will they keep me here? Why won't anyone help me?

Before I knew it, exhaustion filled me, and I fell asleep.

***

I heard a loud kick to the door, waking me up with a yelp. I looked around. Still darkness. I heard the doorknob jiggle. When it opened, Brandon was standing there. As soon as the light hit my eyes, I cringed, covering them with my hands.

"You have to go to school," Brandon said, rolling his eyes. "Hurry the fuck up."

My head was pounding and I felt dizzy. I felt sick—no, worse than that. Brandon got impatient and dragged me out by my wrist. "B-Brandon..."