Chapter 28: Saved?

E V A N N A

  Jayden was definitely not in the mood to deal with anyone today. His body tensed when he saw me. Everyone stared at him as he walked past them, whispering to each other. He walked into History, ramming into me with his shoulder before he went in.

I stared at my desk, afraid. I didn't want to sit with him. Not today. He glared at me and grabbed his binder. He started walking towards the door.

What was he doing?

He left, and I saw him head to the bathroom.

Was he skipping class?

I sat down in my seat, relieved that he wasn't going to be here.

Gym wasn't so good either. I was being shoved, hit, and tripped.

In English, Jayden sat in the back, while I sat in the front row. The teacher came in, but it wasn't our regular teacher.

"Hello, everyone. I'm your substitute teacher, Mrs. Wagons. Your teacher is sick, so I'll be taking over," she said with a smile.

She went on with her lesson. She told us to take out our textbook for the book we were reading in class. Mrs. Wagons started talking again, but stopped.

"Um, you in the back?" Mrs. Wagons said, lifting her glasses up.

I followed her gaze and turned my head towards the back. She was staring at Jayden.

He had headphones on and looked like he wasn't even paying attention.

"Excuse me! What's your name?" She said again.

The whole classroom was watching. Jayden met her eyes. He motioned to his headphones and mouthed, 'What? I can't hear you.'

Mrs. Wagons turned red. I didn't know if it was out of embarrassment or anger. Was this the first time coming to this school? I haven't seen her around.

She marched over to Jayden and ripped his headphones off his head. "This is against the rules!"

Jayden leaned back, crossing his arms. "So?"

Her eyes widened. "Excuse me? How dare you talk to me like that? What's your name?"

"I'm guessing this is your first time here, if you don't know me."

He was so cocky and arrogant. I've never met someone like him.

"What is your name? Or I'll give you detention."

He chuckled. "Jayden."

"Well, Jayden, you are not allowed to be listening to music."

Jayden smirked. "What are you going to do?"

Mrs. Wagons clenched her fists. A moment later, she pointed towards the door. "Get out! Now!"

Jayden sighed, grabbing his binder. "Finally."

"What? Jayden! Come back-"