Chapter 42: Wedding Day

E V A N N A

"Why'd you say that to her?" Rose scolded.

Brandon rolled his eyes. "What? I didn't do anything."

I stood behind Rose, cowering. Rose accidentally overheard Brandon, Daniel, and Jayden telling me I should kill myself. Now, I was afraid they were going to beat me up after because Rose found out.

"It was a joke," Daniel said.

"A joke? Telling people to kill yourself is a joke?!" Rose screamed.

"Mom, chill," Brandon said.

Rose glared at Brandon. "What?"

Brandon cleared his throat. "Uh, Nothing."

"We were just playing around. Right, Evanna?" Jayden asked me, a friendly smile on his face. His fake smile made him seem like he was the nicest person in the world.

"Yeah, it was a joke," Daniel agreed.

"And besides, didn't you say we're her brothers now? We're just teaching our sister that people can be cruel and we're just making her stronger," Brandon said, needing some force to get some of those words out.

Jayden got up and walked over to me. He slung his arm around my shoulder. "You don't believe we meant it, right? We would never say something like that. It was just a misunderstanding."

Rose frowned. "Still, telling people those things can—"

"Mom, it's fine," Jayden said.

Rose looked at me. "Guys, don't hurt her. Please. She's our family now."

Jayden grinned at me. "You forgive us, right? We were just joking around."

Smile.

"Yeah," I said, smiling. "They probably meant it as a joke. I know they would never mean it."

Rose gave me a suspicious look but sighed. "Okay. If they're bothering you, just tell me."

"Of course."

She walked away, and I felt a pang of hurt. My dad was watching from the couch but he had never said anything. I realized he never defended me before.

"Dad... can I talk to you?" I asked as soon as Jayden left.

"Sure."

We walked to my room and I shut the door. "Dad, why do you never stand up for me? If my step brothers do something to me, why don't you say anything to them?"

He scratched his head. "Well, I'm their father now. If I say something bad to them, they'll probably hate me. They're liking me so far, and I don't want to ruin that."

"Oh..." I found myself saying. "You would rather have them liking you rather than helping your biological child?"

My dad sighed. "That's not what I mean. I'm just saying, they were the children I wanted but never had. I'm just really happy that I finally have the children I wanted and—"