5

As the group neared the barn, Jessica's heart began to race. She'd have to calm herself down before she went in.

"You alright?" Sam asked.

"Yeah, just a little nervous." Jessica gave a quick smile.

"Don't worry, we'll be in and out before you know it." Sam returned the smile with his own.

"Come on you two, quick chatting!" Dean whispered. He climbed through an open window, everyone else followed after him.

"Whoa." Jessica almost ran into a sleeping vamp. "They really do sleep during the day."

"Be careful," John said. "I'm gonna go look for the cult. You three find the couple. Meet back outside."

Dean nodded his head. Sam and Jessica followed him.

"There she is." Jessica whispered and pointed towards the woman who was tied to a wooden pole. Dean ran towards her and began to untie the rope. The woman began to stir.

"Hey, it's alright, we're here to save you."

"Mmm," the woman's eyes fluttered open. Once she saw Dean, her eyes widened. She suddenly let out a loud scream.

"What the hell?!" Vamps began to wake up and surround the three.

"Oh shit!" Jessica unsheathed her machete.

There was a crashing sound in the back of the barn. Suddenly John yelled out to them.

"Run!"

Sam, Dean and Jessica dashed towards the exit. The vamps running after them. Once they got out of the barn, they ran up the hill and towards their cars. They stopped once they reached a safe point.

"Dad?" Dean called out. There was no response. "Dad?!"

John came running up the hill. The boys began to walk away but stopped when their father said something.

"They won't follow, not until tonight. Once a vampire gets your scent, it's for life."

"What do we do now?" Dean asked.

"You've got to find the nearest funeral home." John replied.

~<•>~

John sat at a table and had his notebook in front of him. Sam paced the room while Jessica sat down on the sofa.

"I should be out there helping him." Sam said.

"Deans got this." John replied.

Sam sighed and walked towards the middle of the room.

"Sammy." John said.

"Yeah?" Sam looked at his father.

"You know what I did the day you were born?"

"No." Sam replied.

"I put a hundred dollars into a savings account for you, did the same for your brother." John smiled. "Every month I put another hundred in until..." John sighed. "Anyway... my point is Sam, this is never the life that I wanted for you."

"Then why'd you get so mad when I left?" Sam asked.

"You gotta understand something," John started. "After your mother passed, all I saw was evil everywhere. And all I ever cared about was keeping you boys alive. I wanted you prepared... ready." John glanced at Jessica for a brief moment then went back to Sam. "So somewhere along the line, I, uh... I stopped being your father. And I—I became your drill sergeant." Sam walked closer towards his father. "So when you said you wanted to go away to school, all I could think about, my only thought, was that you were going to be alone... vulnerable. Sammy, it just-it never occurred to me what you wanted. I just couldn't accept the fact that you and me... we're just different." Sam's eyes were glassy and red. He chuckled and lowered his head.

"What?" John asked.

"We're not different." Sam said. "Not anymore. With what happened to Mom and Jess..." Sam chuckled again. "We probably have a lot more in common than just about anyone."

John smiled. "I guess you're right, son."

"Hey, Dad?" Sam asked. "Whatever happened to that college fund?"

"Spent it on ammo." John replied. Both Sam and his father began to laugh.

The door to the hotel room opened and Dean stepped through it. The door closing behind him.

"Whoo!" Dean shook his head. "Man, there's a lot of heavy security just to protect some dead guys."

"Did you get it?" John asked.

Dean pulled out a brown paper bag and pulled out a container that held what looked like blood.

John took it and looked at Sam. "You know what to do."

~<•>~

Dean had the Impala on the side of the road. The hood was up and he was working on the engine.

"Car trouble?" A female voice came from behind him. Dean turned around. "Let me give you a lift," The girl smiled. "Take you back to my place."

"I'll pass." Dean said. " I usually draw the line at necrophilia."

"Oh." The girl quickly punched Dean in the face. He fell down to the ground.

The girl grabbed Dean by the jaw and brought him off the ground. Another vamp was behind her. A smile was on his face.

"I don't normally get this friendly till the second date." Dean said through squished lips.

"You know," the girl started. "We could have some fun." She started to bring Dean down to her level. "I always like to make new friends." She brought Dean closer to her face and began to kiss him. It was a very deep kiss.

"Oh, sorry," Dean started. "I don't really stay with a chick that long. Definitely not eternity." There was a high pitched whistle as stakes flew through the air and landed in the vampire behind the girl. Then one landed right in her middle. Dean was let go.

John, Sam and Jessica came out of the woods, bows in their hands.

"Barely even stings." The girl said.

John was walking towards the girl. "Give it time, sweetheart. That arrow's soaked in dead man's blood. It's like poison to you, isn't it?"

The girl became dizzy and fell backwards. Dean caught her.

"Load her up." John said. "I'll take care of this one." John looked at the other vamp. He was on his knees.

Sam looked at his father, his machete drawn.

"Go on." John said. Sam nodded his head. Jessica followed him.

Once they were gone, John looked at the vamp and raised his machete higher. Then, he sliced the vamps neck, decapitating the creature.