Why Might Sex Be Painful?

Painful sex (dyspareunia) is quite a frequent situation in both women and men.

Sometimes, the problem is the result of insufficient production of natural lubrication, so the solution is taking more time with foreplay or using a lubricant.
However, there can be other reasons:

- an allergy to latex condoms, spermicides, soap, or shampoos

- vaginitis (inflammation of the vaginal mucous membrane)

- vaginal thrush

- infections (including sexually transmitted diseases)

- absence of sexual arousal

- dryness of the vagina during menopause

- vaginismus

- endometriosis

If you have sex regulary and continue to feel pain, don't ignore it.

Go to a doctor for help. Many of the above problems can be successfully treated.

Pain during intercourse is not always of a physiological nature. Personal experiences, feeling of guilt, or psychological traumas can cause it as well. In such cases, sex therapy is recommended.

**as someone that suffers daily from the pain and uncomfortableness of endometriosis, I highly recommend going to the doctor and seeking treatment for whatever issue you're having. sex is never meant to be painful, it's always meant to be pleasurable. so when there's pain, there's a problem. the treatment may not always be successful, but it's worth a try, it's better than living in pain 24/7.