The Truth About Metabolism

Technically, metabolism encompasses the various processes that contribute to cell energy requirements, structure, and waste removal. Some of these processes are catabolic - meaning they involve the breaking down of compounds - while others are anabolic processes that involve the building of compounds.
For the purposes of this chapter, we'll concentrate on the catabolic process that is the breaking down of food into glucose, and then further into pyruvate, to provide energy for your cells. In many of the resources you come across, this will be the general definition of metabolism.
From the general definition above, you'll likely deduce that if you increase metabolism, you will be able to burn off any extra calories and fat that you ingested. But it's not as straightforward as it seems.
There are several factors that affect your metabolism, and some of them you simply cannot control. Your metabolism varies depending on:
- Age
- Genetics
- Sex
- Activity level
- Muscle mass
While you can control the amount of activity that you engage in, you definitely cannot control your age or genetics. For example, the rate of acetylation is genetically determined. There are 'slow acetylators' and 'rapid acetylators,' meaning that some people can metabolize certain nutrients and substances quicker than others.