Can Any Woman Use Combined Contraceptives?

Combined contraceptives (pills, patches, and rings) which contain two hormones estrogen and progestin, are not suitable for all women.

Because of estrogen, they cannot be used by those who have migraines, high blood pressure, or thrombosis, as well as those who have had a stroke or a heart attack. They are also not suitable for those who smoke a lot.

In such cases, it is better to consider other birth control methods, such as:

- Hormonal contraceptives containing progestin only: mini-pills, injections, and implants.

- Copper and hormonal (progestin) intrauterine devices (IUDs) that are proven to be one of the most efficient birth control methods.

- Barrier contraceptives, which are less effective, but also deserve attention: condoms, sponges, diaphragms, cervical caps, and spermicides.

When choosing a birth control method, it is best to consult a doctor who will help you decide on the best option for you.

** I suffer from chronic migraines and I've taken COCs (Combined Oral Contraceptives) for almost ten years. I briefly switched to the vaginal rings about three years ago, but at the time I was on the highest dose of birth control so the vag rings didn't help like I needed it to. I have recently switched from my normal high dose COCs to now taking a fairly low dose (I'm on my second pack of the low dose COCs this month and it's actually really helping me a lot more than I thought it would). I was on the same high dose pills for almost a decade and it was not doing good things to or for my body, so if you've ever been continuously on the same birth control for more than four/five years, you need to talk to your OB//GYN and change it up  otherwise you could be suffering some serious health issues in return.