Your Guide Vinyasa Yoga: Is It For You?

If you're looking for a way to improve your flexibility, breath control, and reduce stress, you may want to explore vinyasa yoga. Today, we're ready to tell you about it.
What is vinyasa yoga?
Vinyasa yoga is one of the most popular modern forms of yoga. In this type of yoga, you do a series of poses (or asanas) in a smooth, uninterrupted sequence. It's also called vinyasa flow or flow yoga for the smooth way transition in between the poses.
Vinyasa yoga is a broad term under which a variety of yoga styles can be grouped, such as Ashtanga yoga and power yoga. In vinyasa yoga, the focus is on linking one's breath with the movement while transitioning between the poses.
Physical benefits
Vinyasa can be a good way to get your body active. The smooth, uninterrupted flow of the poses ensures that you keep moving. It can help with keeping your joints healthy and can even be a way to lose weight if paired with a healthy, balanced diet. Indulging in such activity is beneficial, even when you're on your period. Studies have shown that long-term practice of vinyasa yoga can lead to improved muscle tone and a higher metabolic rate.
Mental benefits
One of the most important benefits of vinyasa yoga is its use as a tool to calm the mind and reduce stress. Studies have shown that participants practicing vinyasa yoga reported reduced stress, improved mood, and feeling calmer for longer periods of time. They also mentioned that it helped them avoid binge eating and be more mindful of their fitness and eating habits.
Hatha yoga vs vinyasa
Like yoga vinyasa, hatha yoga is also a broad term under which different types of yoga can be grouped. But there are some important differences in the overall pace and goal of each style that make them different from one another. In hatha yoga, you hold a specific pose (or asana) for a certain number of breaths before moving to the next. The main aim of hatha yoga is to calm the mind and reap the benefits of each pose by holding it for a long time. Because of this, hatha yoga may not be the way to go for people who are looking for a vigorous physical workout that boosts the heart rate.
On the other hand, a vinyasa yoga routine is relatively faster in its pace. Instead of pausing and holding each pose, the poses flow into one another in a quick but smooth sequence. The focus is more on coordinating your breath with the transitions in between the poses. Because of its active pace, vinyasa yoga can be a great choice for those looking for a moderate physical workout.
Vinyasa yoga for beginners
If you're thinking of trying out vinyasa yoga, you can expect to learn not only the yoga poses, but how to smoothly move and control your breath in between them. The connection of the breath to the movements is crucial, and you will be taught when and how to inhale, hold, and release the breath. You may consult your vinyasa yoga teacher to decide the pace and intensity of the routine that works for you. With time and regularity, your flexibility will improve and you may progress to higher intensity routines.