Ten

With a snap of his fingers, Michael teleported them to a large hotel room.
"To be fair," he began. "I didn't think it was so easy to convince you. I thought you'd be more... attached to them."
"I'm just doing what is right," Serah sighed. "I'm gonna help you. But only if you help me."
Michael pulled up an eyebrow. "So immortality isn't enough for you?"
"Who cares around immortality? Even though I still wonder how you wanna do that."
Michael gave her a small smirk. "You know, I have connections that grants us immortality, for things in return I'd have done anyway. You know, your father, Gabriel, he cheated death one too many times. The Entity wants him back."
Serah sank down on the sofa standing in the room. "There's one thing I ask for. Just one."
Michael sank down on the armchair opposite her. "I'm listening."
"I want to kill him," she demanded. "I wanna kill Gabriel and his vessel separately."
Michael gave her a suspicious look. "And why is that?"
"Twice the satisfaction."
Michael smiled. "Not what I expected."
Serah sighed. "I have a question. Did you give me those blackouts? Honestly?"
Michael shook his head. "I didn't. Why would I do that?"
Serah shrugged. "No idea. Doesn't matter. Who cares?" Another sigh escaped her lips and the next time she inhaled, it didn't feel like she was inhaling air. Emptiness filled her lungs, her chest, her body. Being there made her feel dirty. Like she had sold herself.
It's for the better, she thought. It'll pay off.
Mentally, she was preparing herself to learn things she'd never wanna use, and she really didn't want to use. Exorcizing demons was one thing, exorcizing angels a completely different thing, but archangels? This sounded like a risky business. Serah was the last person that would like to kill someone, but now she was going to be a murderer.
Her hands were shaking when she reached for her smartphone.
"What are you doing?" Michael asked with a strict voice.
"I'm texting my friend. I need some emotional support and no offence, I kinda wanna stab you."
Michael chuckled. "You can let out your frustration later. I'll show you a few tricks this universe doesn't even know about."
Serah focused on her phones, texting Nathan once again. Her texts were longer than they usually were, but she tried to keep up a more or less happy facade for him. He didn't know about the supernatural and she was not gonna be the one to break it to him.
From time to time she would get texts from her other friends.
"Hey. Amie just told me you went psycho? You guys okay?"
"What happened? Amie said you're insane now."
"Amie said you're going on a murder spree. Is she like serious or what?"
She tried to ignore it as much as she could until Nate eventually asked her about it.
"Amie is low-key freaking out. She thinks you're gonna come and murder her."
"I won't," Serah replied. "Things are complicated. Don't ask, please. I'm just having family issues."
"Well, Kansas ain't doing no good to you."
Serah sighed. Her life was a mess. If she knew how she'd have probably killed herself years ago. Being the child of a divine creature sounded more fun than it was.
When Serah put her phone aside, a large pile of antique books had appeared on the floor.
"This," Michael said. "Is everything you need to know about archangels."
Serah groaned. "Hurray. History class. My favourite subject." She lifted the first book. It was bound in leather and must have been ages old.
"You better appreciate I am teaching you these techniques," Michael reminded her.
"Yeah, sure," she sighed as she stripped off her shoes, put her feet on the sofa and opened the book. Immediately the smell of libraries hit her and a deep sigh escaped her lips. Amie's dad worked in the library two streets over the Ellerbee's place, so she and Amie spent lots of time there when they were younger. And usually, the smell of books, and libraries in general because happy childhood memories and stuff but recently she could only connect libraries with negativity. Obviously, because Stephen died, but also because of Tom.
Tom used to be really close with Serah but things had been awkward since he kind of dropped the news of his crush in the library while they wanted to study together. Serah had such a hard time to turn him down. He was like a brother to her, not a boyfriend.
Absentmindedly, she turned the pages. The theory wouldn't be as useful as the praxis. That's what she wanted to learn. That's what she needed to learn. If she just read some spells and theories how it might work she wouldn't be coming far. Michael had experience. He didn't just theorize about things working, he knows.
It wasn't Michael's side that's winning. It's hers. He knew and that's why he would teach her. He needed her on his side. Quite a burden to have. To be the one that decides on who is going to take over the world. Sam had told her how the other world was like, how Michael had destroyed it. That's what would happen here. He would probably rebuild heaven with angels trained to smite any human they saw.
Seeing Michael made her stomach turn. The first thing he'd do was going to kill Sam and then Jack and the others. It's like eliminating your biggest threat. Serah closed her eyes. In her mind, she was sitting in the bunker, Sam and Gabriel -her dad- sitting next to her on the couch. Sam's arms were wrapped tightly around either of them, and the two put their heads on his chest.
Immediately, a tear rolled down her cheek.