Seventy-Three

"I'm literally begging you." Jess grabbed his hands. "Please. You're one of the two best hunters the world has to offer and because both you and Dean have retired, and I honestly fancy you a little more, please."
Sam shook his head. "Jess, I don't wanna get myself into a deadly situation and you know that."
"It's not deadly! Maybe dangerous but not deadly."
A deep sigh escaped Sam's lips. "Gabe is gonna kill me if I agree."
Jess walked around Sam. "Gabe?" she yelled.
"Yes?" came from the hallway.
"Can I take your husband out with me?"
"Alright, bring him back in one peace."
Sam pulled up an eyebrow. "You're take taking me out for lunch though."
"He doesn't need to know that." She grabbed his hand and dragged him to the car. "As long as we don't tell him."
"There goes my wonderful marriage."
"You're still married, love." She got inside. "He'll never know."
Sam got in too. "Where are we going?"
"Demons. They seem to screw around since Crowley is dead."
"They're a pain in the ass."
Jess laughed and drove off. It only took them an hour to arrive at a rundown bar. Jess got out, Sam followed.
"Barfight?"
"It'll be fun." She took his hand and walked inside. The bar wasn't full, but a couple of people were in there. She dropped on a barstool and pulled Sam beside her. "Two beers, please."
Sam watched around. "Jess..."
"Don't worry, handsome. Not trying to get you drunk." She smiled. "You see that guy in the back? In the suit?"
"Yeah." Sam glanced over.
"Cas told me about him.:
"You guys talking 'bout Kip?" The bartender put their drinks in front of them.
"Yeah, he's an acquaintance of a friend." Jess smiled charmingly.
"I doubt it." He watched them. "We don't take your folks around here lightly."
"Strangers?" Sam asked.
"Hunters."
"Don't touch them, Mitchell." The guy Jess was talking about, Kip, walked up to them. "We can talk, can't we?"
"Talking sounds fun." Jess got up.
"Not with you, sunshine." Kip grabbed Sam's shoulder. "I'd like to have a talk with your boyfriend here."
Sam watched Jess. "I'll be fine. You go into the car, lock the door-"
"You gotta be kidding me, Sam."
Kip laughed. "Do what you want." He dragged Sam to his table and sat down. "We have a lot to talk about."
"For example, how good an angel blade looks in your skull?"
"I'm not here to hurt you." Kip crossed his arms. "I want to make you an offer."
"How come?" Sam sat down. "You offer things to people you find in bars?"
"Oh come on, I led you here. Your little friend over there is too easy to lure." Kip took a sip out of his glass. "Are you willing to listen to me?"
"Might as well before I stab you."
"We need a leader."
Sam watched him. "Come again?"
"Hell is anarchy since Crowley died. We need someone to take the lead and keep hell under control."
"Then do that," Sam suggested. "Why me?"
"They're scared of you. Imagine what you could do with the power of hell behind you." He pulled out a parchment, a contract. "Take your time. I swear there's no downside."
"What's in it for you?" Sam asked.
"A bonus." He put down a pen. "Maybe a little promotion?"
Sam read the contract. Carefully he went over every line twice. Nothing in there seemed to suggest anything than power and might over hell, together with some demonic powers. No backside. Sam took the pen. He hesitated. He could do so much good if hell worked under his control. It was irresponsible to ignore the opportunity.
He took the contract and signed on the bottom.
"That's what I thought." Kip grinned. "All we need to seal the deal is a drop of blood." Kip put a small pocket knife on the table. Sam inspected it, then cut into his thumb and pressed it onto the contract.
He felt his thumb burning. A sting running into his blood. His veins began to glow for a moment before everything went back to normal.
"Great." Kip took the contact. "Welcome to the business, Boss. We can arrange easy access to Hell in the next few days. See you there for a quick rundown of your obligations and responsibilities." Kip got up and left the bar.
Jess approached the table. "What the hell did you do?"
"I-"... Sam cleared his throat. "I think I'm the King of Hell."