Twenty-Two

With a knock, the door of Serah's room opened.
"Hey," Sam said, his voice a lot softer than only half an hour ago.
Serah didn't reply.
Sighing, Sam closed the door and walked to her bed. The nephilim remained silent, arms crossed in front of her chest.
"Serah..."
"I was right," she finally spoke. "I was right and you know it."
"Of course you were right," Sam agreed. "Everyone knows, but this isn't about being right or wrong. This is about respect."
Serah turned her head away. "He disrespected you too."
"That doesn't mean you need to be like him." Sam sat down on the edge. "I'm your dad, and as your dad, I tell you that no matter how someone treats you, that doesn't mean you are allowed to do the same."
"So if someone tries to kill me, I should just let them?"
"He held your wrist. He couldn't have even hurt you."
"He wanted to!"
"Serah, stop yelling at me or I'm gonna yell back and neither of us wants that, do we?"
The nephilim sighed.
"Look," Sam started in a much calmer voice. "Things aren't easy. I have never seen my parents together in my whole life and when I see my father after 13 years for the first time, he basically hates me. So don't make this more complicated than it already is."
"As long as you keep him away from me," Serah mumbled. "Or else I'll get mad again."
"He's gone. Mom kicked him out. He can come back when he calmed down, whenever that is gonna be."
Serah sighed. "I'm sorry, dad. You deserve better than this." She leaned over and hugged her dad tightly.
Sam patted her back. "You're still grounded, though."
"What?" Serah gasped.
"You threatened my dad and insulted him. I won't just let that slip." Sam got up.
"You have to be kidding me," she said, getting up as well.
"I'm not. Also, I won't let you go out in this kind of clothing. Try again tomorrow."
Serah crossed her arms. "You can't keep me in here. I can fly away."
Sam chuckled. "You wouldn't. We both know."
"Wow, you suck," the girl mumbled.
Sam watched down on her, eyebrows pulled up. "Excuse me?"
"Sorry..." She dropped back on the bed and pulled her knees to her chest.
"You'll need to learn how to put on your brain-to-mouth filter." He ruffled her hair and left the room.
Serah sighed deeply and reached for her phone. She tried texting Nathan but he didn't read the message. She would have texted the others but last time they texted it was all about Serah going nuts.
Eventually, she dropped on the bed and snapped herself a book. For a while, this is what she did. Reading. Soaking in letters and words, until a knock on her door disturbed her. Dean poked his head inside the room, taking a quick look before watching Serah. "Hey," he said. "Whatcha doing? I thought you wanted to go out."
"I'm grounded," Serah sighed.
"Well, Sam's boring. Let's go." He opened the door wider and stepped back.
"What?" the girl asked and put the book aside.
"I think we didn't have the best start, so let's go."
Serah watched her uncle suspiciously but eventually, she gave in and approached him. Silently, he walked down then the hallway, basically sneaking by Sam's room. He led her to what looked like a garage.
"Ever driven a car?" he asked, taking a key from the keyboard beside them.
"No," Serah replied.
"Well, that's gonna change," Dean said, handing her the keys. "It's the blue one over there." He approached the car and opened the door for her.
Serah wiped her hands on her shirt and entered the car. Dean closed the door and got in on the passenger seat. Serah was a little overwhelmed at the situation but the excitement took over. She watched Dean a little helplessly. With a soft smile, Dean started explaining. It felt... familiar. She was used to this face explaining things to her. Michael had taught her. Michael wasn't nearly as nice as Dean, though. Dean took the time to explain properly instead of overestimating Serah's competence. He answered Serah's questions instead of dismissing them and thinking she's dumb. After Dean's thorough explanation, Serah turned the key and the engine revved. Serah gasped in excitement. Dean laughed proudly. He continued explaining the next steps and after a few deep breaths and words of encouragement, Serah drove the car outside.
"See?" Dean smiled. "You're driving."
"I'm driving," Serah agreed. "I'm driving!"
The roads were empty so Serah felt a lot safer than in the garage. She was focused. Her hands were wrapped tightly around the steering wheel.
"You're doing really well," Dean praised. He looked outside of the window and lightly tapped her arm. "Hey, park here."
Serah did as commanded and stopped the car. Dean left the car and Serah swiftly followed after pulling off the key. "Where are we going?" she asked.
"Lunch," he replied. "It's on me." He approached the nearby diner and they entered. They sat down and Dean cleared his throat. "So, I think this is a good opportunity to-"
Serah groaned. "Are you gonna give me a parental talk because I'll pass."
"No, no, don't worry." Dean chuckled to himself. "I don't think I told you already, but I wanna say thank you. You saved my ass."
"I saved the world," Serah sighed. "But you got me out of home prison and let me drive, so we're even."
Dean chuckled. "I'm the cool uncle."
"What about my other uncle though?" Serah chewed on her lip. "You said he's in hell?"
"He died when he was only a little older than you. Another Michael situation."
Serah sighed. "I heard enough," she said. "That name makes me throw up and I wanna have some lunch right now."