Eighty-Six

Sam put the luggage in the trunk and closed it shut. He walked back to the entrance and watched his family. "You guys are alright?"
"We'll be fine," Dean said. "You guys enjoy your holiday."
Sam smiled and took Brie out of Gabe's arms. He straightened her little hat and pressed a kiss on her forehead. "Who's ready for a holiday?"
Brie laughed and leaned against him. "That's what I thought."
Serah squeezed through the small crack between Dean and Cas. She was unrecognizable underneath her beanie, large coat and scarf. "I don't like this." She walked to the car and silently got in.
Sam laughed. "She's so cute."
"Stay safe on the road," Dean said. "Are you gonna be home by Christmas?"
"Not gonna miss that." Sam stepped closer and hugged him with one arm.
"Have fun."
Gabe tugged on Sam's arm and pulled him to their car. Sam opened the car door and put Brie and Raph in their car seats. "Be good, yes?" He put kisses on all three of his kids' heads and closed the door. Then, he got into the driver's seat. "Ready for a vacation?"

Things were good, a few hours into driving. The babies were asleep in their seats, Serah was watching some show on her tablet and Gabe looked out of the window.
"I rented a really nice cottage for us," Sam said.
"Cuddly movie nights?" Gabe asked.
"With hot chocolate."
Gabe smiled softly. "I love you, Sammy."
"I love you too, Gabe."
"Do I get any love?" Serah asked, catching Sam's glance in the mirror.
"Lean forward."
Serah did and Sam pressed a swift kiss on her head before looking back at the road.
"As soon as we'll be there, you'll get a big hug," Gabe said. "I promise."
Serah chuckled and focused her attention on her show.
Gabe leaned against the window. "Sam, how long are we driving still?"
"About a few hours if nothing goes wrong."
"What if something goes wrong?" Gabe asked.
"Then we'll take longer."
Gabe frowned and looked outside the window. "Sam, can we turn on the radio?"
"Sure, honey." He turned on the radio and music started playing. Gabe smiled and pressed a kiss on Sam's cheek. He placed his head on Sam's shoulder and smiled.
"The good thing is that you can't go to work, and we actually can spend some premium time together."
"I agree," Sam said. "Your dad is taking care of heaven?"
"Yes." Gabe smiled. "He also said he's trying to spend some time with Tedy and Jack to get to know them."
"That's great. He's trying not to be a dick."
"I saw him spend time with Serah and the twins already," Gabe said. "He gave Serah some guitar lessons."
"Oh. I didn't know that."
Gabe smiled and pressed a kiss on his cheek. "The two of you didn't have the best start but he wants to be better for us."
Sam nodded. "Do you know if he still... You know." He glanced at Serah in the mirror. "You know."
"Becky said he's doing better." Gabe looked at the road ahead. "But also not."
"Is he drinking secretly?" Sam asked. "Can he really get drunk anyway?"
"She said he's, uhm... She calls it 'moody'."
"But actually, she means aggressive." Sam sighed.
"Well, he doesn't hurt her." Gabe cuddled to him. "She said he's still very caring and stuff... Just very loud."
"I promise we'll talk to him when we're back, but now we are on holidays." Sam ran a hand through Gabe's hair and smiled. "And right now, that's not our problem."
"You're right," Gabe said. "I love you."
"I love you too, honey." He smiled and cleared his throat. His throat hurt as he suppressed a cough.
"Still?" Gabe asked. "You've been sick for months."
"Guess my immune system is a bit weak lately." Sam tried to smile, but the cough hurt more than he'd want it to. "I'm fine."
"Honey, you should wear warmer clothing."
"I'm a grown man."
"When I was your age, I was a baby still."
"Well, you're also old."
Gabe watched him and frowned. "And you suck."
"Are you sure that I do that?"
"Samuel William Winchester."
Sam laughed. "I didn't know you knew my second name."
"I know everything."
"Sure, you do."