Eighty-Nine

Serah quietly closed the door, seeing how her parents were fast asleep. Sam's coughing kept her worried, but there was no way Serah could lift them from the floor, let alone both. She snapped a blanket and draped it over the two. "You're already sick, dad," she whispered. "Why are you sitting here in the cold?" She pressed a gentle kiss on Sam's forehead, just like he always did to her. Sam mumbled something and pulled Gabriel closer.
Serah smiled and walked to her room. She changed into her pyjamas, dropped on her bed and pulled out her phone. Once she saw that Eliot was online, she video called him. "Hey there."
"Hey, sweetie." He smiled. "How's vacation?"
"Missing you." She hugged her pillow and smiled. "I want my winter wonder fantasy."
"That's adorable."
Serah's phone vibrated. A message arrived. She read the little pop-up.
"You're staring." Eliot chuckled. "Who is it?"
"Some guy I met downtown." Serah brushed a strand of her hair out of her face. "He asked me out for lunch."
Eliot's expression shifted. "Is that a joke?" he asked. "You gave some guy your number the first day you're gone?"
"It's just lunch, Eliot. No need to worry."
"Are you joking?"
"Look, it's really just lunch. I'm not gonna-" A loud crash interrupted Serah's train if thought. She lifted herself up. "I gotta check what happened."
"We are having an important talk right here."
"Yeah, and I'm having an important situation to check out so screw you." She dropped the phone on the bed when screams and cuss words came through the door.
"You're such an idiot!" Gabriel yelled. "A stupid moron!"
Carefully, Serah opened the door to couch cushions flying across the room, spilled cocoa on the floor and Sam and Gabe hands on. Except that instead of enjoying their vacation in a less clothed way, they weren't close from punching each other in the face. More precisely, Gabe tried to punch as Sam kept up his defence.
"What the hell is wrong with you?" Serah grabbed a pillow and pushed the two apart with it. "Both of you stop right now!"
"Yeah, Sam." Gabriel crossed his arms. "Tell her what's wrong."
"We're not gonna tell her any-"
"Tell her, Samuel!"
Sam took a deep breath and closed his eyes. "So I may know why I've been sick for so long."
"That's a good thing, guys." Serah pushed both of them down on the un-cushioned couch. "That means we can fix it."
"Not really," Sam said.
"He went on a hunt without even telling me," Gabe said.
"That's a lie! We were fixing your dad's relationship because nobody else does."
"Oh yeah? How does someone get cursed by a witch in God's home?"
"We helped a woman in the streets but she actually was a witch."
"Stop lying to me, Sam!" Gabriel yelled. "I'm sick of you keeping secrets. First hell, now this! What's next? Are you having an affair?"
Sam jumped up from his seat. "Guess how freaking sick I was of you faking your death! I cared about you and you let us suffer!"
"Whoa whoa, guys." Serah got between them. "What's in the past is in the past. We can't change it now."
"Won't help us when he's freaking dying."
"I'm not dying." Sam stuffed his hands in his pocket. "I told Rowena everything I understood about the curse the witch used and she's looking if she can find anything."
"So the witch knows, but your husband doesn't?" Gabe asked. "Great..."
"At least I didn't sleep with her."
"Dad! For heaven's sake, shut up. Both of you, actually. You both shut up. Arguing isn't gonna help any of us."
Sam rolled his eyes. "F-"
"Don't you dare cuss in front of our daughter, Sam, or I swear I'll shove that bar of soap places where the sun doesn't shine."
Serah was just as shocked as Sam was. Quietly, she picked up the cushions and placed them where they belonged. "Don't care who but one of you is sleeping here."
"I'll gladly take it," Sam said. "Before he throws punches again."
"Dad, stop it. You're being very immature." She pulled Gabe by his arm and put him in the bed. "If I hear another thing, I'll get mad."