Eighty

Sam hummed as Gabe's finger traced doodles on his chest.
"My day wasn't the greatest either," Gabe said.
"Well, after our little-"
"It's actually pretty serious." Gabe set his head down. "It's about Brie."
"Brie?" Sam asked. "What about Brie?"
Gabe sighed. "So you know that we have wings and stuff... Well, Brie doesn't."
"Come again?"
"Angels may grow their wings later but after six weeks... I got concerned and looked into heaven's archives and asked my dad..."
"How bad is it?" Sam asked.
"Well, the best-case scenario is that she won't have any powers and the worst-case scenario..." Gabe pushed his face in his neck. "I don't wanna think about it, Sammy."
"Hey, hey, she's gonna be fine," Sam said and brushed his hair. "She will be."
"Sammy..." Gabe leaned against him. "She maybe won't walk."
"Hey, shh, that's nothing we can't handle." Sam kissed his forehead.
"I'm worried."
"Me too, believe me." Sam sighed and brushed over his back. "It'll be fine."
Gabe nodded. "I believe you..."
"And because I'm so sure, I'll go get us some nice dinner, alright?"
Gabe pressed a soft kiss on Sam's neck and smiled. "Don't forget to dress up."
Sam laughed and put on his clothes. "I'll be back in a sec." He walked to the kitchen, John and Serah standing at the stove.
"Don't worry about the timing," John said. "You'll get a feeling for it after a while."
"Pancakes are a freaking science, man."
Sam smiled widely and started recording with his phone.
"It's not that hard." John chuckled. "It's all practice. Here, take the pan and try to flip it."
"I mean, okay." She grabbed the pan. "I'm just gonna-" She screamed as the pancake flew up and then safely landed back in the pan.
John laughed heartedly. "You're doing amazing."
Serah took a deep breath. "That was scary."
Sam sneaked up to her and hugged her. Another scream as she grabbed his arms.
"Dad!" she whined.
Sam laughed. "You're doing amazing, princess "I hate you." She sunk into his arms and frowned. "Men suck. First one forces me to actually adult, another scares me to hell."
"And the third one doesn't know how to use a condom."
"I'm so sick of both of you." Serah frowned. "I'm gonna tell Mary."
"Do that, kiddo, I'll make the pancakes." John ruffled her hair.
Serah wound out of Sam's arms and left the kitchen. "Mary, your husband and son make fun of me."
Sam chuckled and opened the fridge. "You two seem to get along well."
"Serah can be a handful, but she's a lovely girl." John smiled. "She's a lot like you."
Sam nodded. "You know, thinking about it, I have no idea how I couldn't see how much she looks like me." He made some simple dinner and put it on two plates. "Gabe needs some comfort food because something is wrong with Brie and he's worried for her."
"Well, what is wrong?"
"She's not growing any wings and it could have some bad consequences." Sam sighed and leaned against the counter. "When you think life is going normal..."
"Life will never be normal, Sam." John turned off the stove and put the pancake on the plate. "You're married to an archangel."
Sam chuckled. "I guess." He ran his hand through his hair. "I kinda miss hunting, but I also really don't."
John laughed. "I'd never think you'd say this. I remember when you were a kid, you hated it all."
"I hated it all two weeks ago." Sam smiled. "I remember that one hunt in that pizzeria. When was that? 1987?"
John laughed. "Yeah, '87."
"You didn't eat pizza for months." Sam laughed. "Probably won't take my kids to a pizzeria anytime soon."
"Good choice," John said. "Not the healthiest food."
"Aside from the twins being a month old." Sam smiled. "I love them so much."
"Sam? Can you do me a favour?" John cleared his throat. "In five months..."
"I know," Sam said. "I will."