Thirty-Six

The night had passed and Serah barely calmed down. She didn't know whether her friends stayed in a different room or if they went home. The stab wound had healed already and the nurse costume had ended up in the trash. The clock read 9:49 am when it knocked on the door.
"Hey, Dearie." Jess pushed open the door and got closer. "Heard you had a rough evening."
"You could say that," Serah scoffed.
"Good thing I'm here." Jess sat down at the foot end and threw a brown paper bag at Serah. The girl sat up and opened the bag.
"You're the absolute best," Serah gasped.
Jess smiled. "I know. Enjoy your breakfast."
Serah pulled out the content of the bag and put them on the bed table. A hot chocolate and a bagel from the café Jess invited her to once. She loved the food from there and apparently, Jess knew that.
"So," Jess said opening her own bag. "Your dad."
"Don't." Serah ran a hand through her hair. "Just no."
"He's trying so hard to be a good dad."
Serah looked away. "I just..."
"I know, I know," Jess smiled. "Rebellious teen versus overly protective dad. We all go through this."
Serah sighed. "I've been good without him for years."
"But you're better now. And Sam is so happy about you being here. He doesn't wanna hurt you. He cares about you a lot."
Serah teared up. She hated how easily she broke apart sometimes. She never had issues with dealing with her emotions. Personally, she thought she was great at concealing her sadness. "You think I'm being unreasonably harsh?"
"Maybe a little," Jess sighed. "Just think about what I told you whenever you feel like Sam is babying you."
Nodding, Serah ate her bagel. "You know if my friends are still here?"
"Dean put them in a room at the other end if the building 'cause he got annoyed with them."
"Did they do something?" Serah asked concernedly.
"Nah, he just hoped for a night with Cas if you catch my drift."
Serah giggled. "I hope he gets his 'night' tonight."
They finished their breakfast, having a nice girls' talk Serah really needed. She threw the paper bag in the trash bin when it knocked. Serah stepped closer and opened the door.
Sam waited there, a backpack on his shoulder.
"Hey, dad," Serah greeted.
"Hey princess." He scratched his head, an insecure look on his face. "Dean and I are leaving for another hunt. I just wanted to ask if you wanted to join us."
Serah was surprised. "A hunt?" she repeated. Isn't that too dangerous?"
"Yeah, of course, but it's dangerous," he admitted. "But I thought that you maybe wanted to join."
Serah blushed. "Like a family trip?" she asked.
"Yeah," Sam chuckled. "Like a messed up family trip."
Serah stepped closer and wrapped her arms around his neck. "I think I'll stay here," she smiled. "Don't want you to get worried."
Sam smiled. "I'm sure to take you out for lunch tomorrow."
"Sounds perfect." Serah kissed his cheek and let go. "Stay safe. Don't die."
"Promise," Sam laughed. He pressed a kiss on her forehead and hugged her tightly. "I love you, princess."
"I love you too, dad." Serah smiled as Sam closed the door. She turned to Jess and smiled.
"See?" Jess smiled. "He learned something. And you apparently did too."
Serah nodded. "Yes," she said. "Maybe I should talk to my friends and tell them what was going on." She opened the door and walked down the hallway. Instead of finding six teens, she only found two, June and Elliot.
"Hey," June said.
"What's up?" Serah asked. "Where are the others?"
Elliot laughed. "Nate and Tom got in a fight so your uncle kicked them out."
"And the girls?"
"Indie was the only one who could keep them apart and Margo had two drive them home," June explained. "But at least you're not dead."
Serah nodded. "Well, time to do some action just the three of us."
Elliot laughed once again. "I mean, jackpot, but I don't think June is into girls."
"Shut up!" June said and blushed. "Perv."
"I was thinking movie night, as planned." Serah laughed softly.
"That doesn't sound quite as fun," Elliot frowned.
"Jerk," Serah giggled and hit him with a pillow. She took June by her hand and pulled her up. "You don't have to join us. We can have fun on our own."
"Fine, fine," Elliot laughed and got up as well. "You suck."
"Apparently we don't." Serah winked at him and left the room to go to her own. The teens dropped on the bed and Serah put on a movie.  She hugged Elliot's arm and cuddled on his shoulder. The two had never been really close. He was a friend of June's before he joined the group. It wasn't like she didn't like him. She just didn't like his offensive flirting. He knew Nate and Serah had been dating but that didn't stop Elliot. There were worse things out there. Everyone knew Elliot was just joking. He wasn't up to a threesome. Actually, Serah was convinced he wasn't into girls in the first place.
Everything from the way he always offensively flirted to the way he looked at guys in school when he thought nobody would notice... It was none of Serah's business, obviously, but she'd understand why he wouldn't admit to being gay.
It wasn't like Nathan and Tom were homophobic. Actually, maybe they were a little bit. The jokes and comments led Serah to not really outing herself. Serah was convinced she looked too much into that. Maybe she was just a bit too sensitive with their jokes. Maybe they were just joking. Serah really hoped they were.