Fifty-Seven

"But why would God create all the bad things like cancer if he loved humanity.
Serah shrugged at Eliot's question. She had no intent to answer. She'd just stare into the sky, feeling her head lift and sink as he breathed in and out. She ran her nails over the skin of his arm while he drew circles on her belly.
"Why does your family kill monsters anyway?" Eliot asked. "I mean, they can't be all bad, right?"
"Most are," Serah admitted. "I'm not human. Half of my family isn't human. My dad has demon blood in his body. Jess told me a family friend of them is a werewolf and Dean spent a year in purgatory with a vampire who didn't kill him. So, I guess they aren't all bad."
"Huh. Cool."
Serah watched the boy. He was focused on the clouds, his mouth spitting out more thoughts his brain produced. He didn't even notice Serah was watching him.
"Hey, uhm, Eliot?"
"Yes?" His hand settled down.
"Why do you care about the world? Like, asking all these questions."
"Because you have answers."
Serah snickered. "I don't have answers. I'm not God. Even he doesn't know."
"But he should know what he's doing."
"Well, I only met him recently but he doesn't sound like he has an idea what he's doing."
Eliot laughed softly. "I would say differently, but I guess I trust you." His hand wandered up, landing on Serah's cheek. His thumb caressed her cheek, the rest of his hand leaning against her jawline. His hand was soft unlike her dad's, Eliot didn't do any of the handworks Sam did.
When Serah traced her thumb over the boy's arm, she felt how dry her own skin was. She used to use all these skincare products back when she lived in Nebraska. Now she doesn't anymore, just like she didn't use any makeup anymore. She thought it'd balance out but now her skin was greasy and gross.
Serah couldn't spot a single flaw on Eliot's face. His flawless skin was a bit pale but so soft. She pressed enough kisses on his cheek and the other way around.
Serah lifted herself from Eliot's chest. A weird feeling hit her. She took a deep breath and ran a hand through her hair.
"Serah?" Eliot asked. "Are you alright?"
"Yeah, uhm..." The nephilim closed her eyes. "I just, uh, like... I felt a bit weird."
Eliot sat up. "Do you want to go inside? Do you need to lie down?"
"It's not like a medical thing, I don't know. It's just... I gotta talk to someone."
"Sure." Eliot moved closer. "You know you can tell me everything."
Serah felt her face heating up and tears forming on her waterline. "Not about that. I'm sorry but I need adult advice."
"Oh..." Eliot mumbled. "That's okay. If you want me to go home-"
"No." She got up and pulled the boy with her. "It won't take that long, I promise." She took his hand and walked back to the bunker. "I'll be back." Serah ran down the hallway and knocked at her parents' room.
"Come in," her dad said.
Serah opened the door, warm droplets running down her cheeks. "I need a hug and advice."
Sam jumped out of the bed. "What happened?"
A sobbing came from Serah's lips. "I'm confused and don't know what to do."
Gabe stepped closer. "I'll take care of it." She kissed her fiancé's cheek. "You go and get some ice cream for our little princess." She pushed Sam out of the room.
"Mom, I don't know what I'm doing." Serah rubbed along her eye. "Eliot is so nice to me and I like him a lot but I don't know if I like him because I like him or if I like him because he's nice to me."
Gabe smiled softly. "I know what you mean. Your dad and I needed thirteen years to figure things out. Maybe you need a bit of time to think about it. I think you two would make a cute couple."
Serah blushed and looked down. "He's really nice to me. He always strokes my hair."
"That's nice, honey." Gabe put her arms around the nephilim and pulled her close. "Just try and listen to your heart."
Serah nodded. "Thank you."
The archangel ran her fingers through Serah's hair. "I love you."
"I love you too." Serah kissed her cheek and backed off. "I'll take a look after Eliot. I just left him in the map room."
"Do that, sweetie. Go get some cuddles and ice cream." Her mom pressed a soft kiss on the bridge of her nose and let the girl walk back to the large main hall.
"She cares about you. You better not screw it up."
"No, sir."
"And she deserves only the best of the best."
"Yes, sir."
Serah watched through the archway. Eliot sat at the table, opposite of Sam and Dean. The nephilim stepped closer, pulling Sam's chair back to sit on his lap. "Hi, dad. How about you stop threatening him?"
"We just wanna make sure your boyfriend is nice to you," Sam said.
"He's not my boyfriend." Serah watched the boy.
Eliot shook his head. "I'm just trying to be a good friend."
"That's a problem." Sam put a hand on Serah's arm. "She clearly likes you and you're not using your chance."
"I tried that!" Eliot lifted himself from the chair underneath him. "I told her that and she didn't like me and that's okay! I'm just tired of the mixed signals I'm getting."
"Look, I'm sorry." Serah got up and walked around the table. "I just... I just got through a breakup, I'm lacking social skills... Hell, I'm pregnant, my hormones are all over the place. I don't know if I like you because I like you or if I like you because you like me." Tears formed on Serah's waterline. "I'm sorry you have to put up with this."
Gently, Eliot pulled her closer. He placed a hand on her cheek and wiped away the tears streaming down. His lips met Serah's. Inside, Serah felt all sorts of things. Good things, bad things. Mostly bad things.
Eliot backed off and Serah threw up.