Forty-Nine

Dean watched the room full of children. Most of the kids looked like they went to school, some even looked like they might be Serah's age. One kid, though, stood out to Dean.
"Hey, Cas." He nodded to a small girl sitting near the toybox in the corner.
"Oh, that's Theodora," said the social worker from earlier. "Her parents died in a freak accident and she hasn't said a word since."
Dean watched Cas and pulled up an eyebrow. "Can I talk to her?"
"You can try."
Dean made his way across the room. "Hi," he said, kneeling down in front of the girl. She didn't react, playing with a duck plush animal. Her hair was almost black and very curly, her eyes were emerald green.
"You like ducks?" Dean asked. Inside the toy box, he spotted a rubber duck, so he took it and put it in front of her. She still didn't answer.
Dean looked to the angel standing at the door. Cas lightly shook his head. Dean sighed softly. "Bye Theodora." He got up and went back. "I don't think she likes me."
Cas shook his head and watched over Dean's shoulder. A moment later, Dean felt someone tugging on his hand. Theodora watched up to the hunter and stretched her arms to him.
"You want a hug?" Dean smiled and picked up the girl. Immediately, she wrapped her arms around his neck. Dean's smile grew.
"I think she likes you," Cas corrected.
"I think that too," the social worker agreed. "And I don't think it's one-sided either."
Dean watched Theodora and turned his back to Cas so she could see the angel. "You wanna have us as your dads?" he asked smiling.
The girl leaned her head against Dean's shoulder and nodded shyly.
"I would say that seals the deal." The social worker smiled. "We're gonna set up some visits so you three can get to know each other."
Dean smiled. "Sounds great."
The social worker smiled back at the couple. "Maybe we can have the first visit right now, and then tomorrow, or the day after?"
Dean was already gone in playland mentally. He walked to a couch that was standing on one of the walls. "Do you like picture books?" he asked sitting down. Theodora got off the couch and went to the bookshelf, coming back with the duck plushie and a book. Dean picked her up and sat her down on his lap. "I would say yes," he smiled and opened the book. Theodora was still quiet but she pointed to things in the book and let Dean say what they were.
From the other end of the room, Cas smiled and went to them. "You two are doing great, aren't you?"
The three spent a full hour on the couch when Dean's phone rang. "Hey, Sammy."
"Hey, just checking in," Sam replied. "I didn't know you'd be gone for so long. Just wanted to make sure you're okay."
"That's sweet," Dean laughed. "We're perfectly fine. Currently reading a picture book."
"A picture book?" Sam asked. "Why are you reading a picture book?"
"Because your hopefully future niece likes them." Dean couldn't stop smiling.
"Aw, that's adorable. Anyway, on the way home, can you pick up some pickles? Serah has been asking for them for about half an hour."
"Sure, I will," Dean promised. "We probably need to go anyway. Bye Sam."
"Bye."
Dean put his phone away and Theodora watched him with big eyes. Dean smiled sadly. "We have to go, pumpkin. But I promise we'll come back tomorrow."
Theodora shook her head and wrapped her arms around his neck. Dean let out a heavy sigh and got up from the couch, kneeling on the floor. When the girl let go, tears stained her pale face. Gently, Dean wiped away the tears. "I promise that we will be back tomorrow. Pinky promise." He held out his pinky to her. The girl sniffed and hooked her pinky finger in. Dean smiled. He got up from the floor, the girl still holding onto his finger. Together, they walked to the door where the social worker waited for them. She smiled.
"Did you enjoy your play time?"
Theodora nodded.
"Great. So, would tomorrow be okay? 11 am?"
Castiel nodded. "We'll be here."
Dean knelt down again. "You heard? 11 am. Then, we'll be back." He hugged the girl for a final time before getting up and having to leave. They got into a car and sat there for a moment, soaking in the events of the day.
"Don't cry," Castiel hushed.
Dean looked away, dragging his finger along the water line. "I'm not."
"We'll see her tomorrow again."
Dean nodded. He couldn't believe how attached he got without her even saying a single word. Dean loved this girl.