Thirty-Five

"And then she got stabbed! We think she's dead!"
Serah watched over the railing at the door down to the group of scared teens explaining to four adults what had happened. She slowly climbed down the stairs catching Sam's attention who immediately pushed the teens aside and approached her. "You're so in trouble, young lady." He grabbed her arm and started scolding her about staying out late, about not telling Gabriel where they had been, for not calling for help when she was attacked.
Serah's eyes filled with tears once again, and she looked for Gabriel. He always calmed Sam down when he got mad. Indeed, Gabriel moved closer and pushed Sam aside. Serah felt relief building up, just to be crushed hard.
Gabriel was even more furious than Sam had been. Serah felt so small compared to the two of them towering over them.
"You're never doing this again!" Gabriel yelled. "Now go to your room!" he finished off his rant.
Serah was scared to talk back. "B-but..."
"Now!"
The tears building up on Serah's waterline now rolled down her cheeks. She swallowed down the knot in her throat and walked to her room.

Sam watched after his daughter. Regret build up inside of him. "You think we were too harsh on her?"
"Yes," Dean answered. "Your daughter nearly got killed and you yell at her? She must've been scared to Hell!"
Sam looked down before redirecting his attention to the hooded figure looming in the back of the room. "Is that him?" he asked the kids.
"Yes," Nathan replied.
Sam stepped closer. The figure was a lot shorter than him and made a few steps towards him as well. "Long time no see." The figure pulled back the hood.
Sam wouldn't believe who he saw. "Alfie?"
"It's Samandriel." The angel seemed annoyed. "I need to talk to Castiel."
Sam watched his best friend. Dean had put an arm in front of the angel, preventing him from getting any closer.
"You can talk," Dean said. "But not alone."
Castiel lowered Dean's arm and stepped closer. "I can explain."
"Do it," Samandriel said. "I'd love to hear that."
Castiel sighed deeply. "Naomi manipulated me. I didn't mean to do what I did."
"It won't make it better."
"It kinda does." Sam watched the shorter angel. "You're not dead anymore."
"Just calm down. You're here so clearly the Empty is trying to overwhelm us with dead angels and if you help us, we can bring us with either keeping angels alive or putting them back to rest." Dean moved closer as well. "Don't be a bitch about it."
Samandriel watched him. "So I'm just going to pretend things are normal now. And do what?"
Sam shrugged. "I mean, we might have something to do for you, if that's something you're interested in."
The angel seemed interested indeed. He tilted his head. "I might do it."
Sam cleared his throat. "You could maybe get someone out of hell for us. He's been in there wrongfully for quite a while now. He's in the Cage."
Samandriel seemed to know about their issue. "I heard back in the day. You want me to bring him back." He watched them for a while. "Alright."
Dean raised his eyebrow. "Really?"
"Yes," Samandriel said. "I'm not doing this to do you a favour though. I do it because he doesn't belong there." With these words, he disappeared.
"And now you will apologize to your daughter," Dean said.
Sam nodded. He walked towards her room and knocked gently. "Serah?" he asked.
"Go away!" the girl yelled.
"Serah, please... I just wanna talk."
She ripped open the door. Black trails stained her cheeks and her dress was bloody. She was still trembling. "I was stabbed," she said. "I was terrified. And I was hoping for you to comfort me. To tell me I was safe, but apparently, I wasn't."
Sam closed his eyes. Seeing his beloved daughter like that was heartwrenching. "I didn't mean to... Don't you understand that we just want you to be safe?"
"Oh come on!" She crossed her arms. "Is it so hard to hug me and say 'It's okay, you're save' before telling me 'oh, by the way, you're also screwed'?" She stepped back and slammed the door shut.
Sam took a deep breath, walking slowly to his own room. He dropped on the edge of the bed, soon followed by Gabriel putting an arm around him.
"I'm an awful father, Gabe." Sam covered his face and leaned on his knees. "She hates me. I hurt her so badly, I'm such an asshole."
"Shh." Gabriel wrapped his arms around the hunter. "It's okay. She'll get over it and you learned your lesson."
Sam shook his head. "I shouldn't have yelled at her."
Gabe nodded. "I did too. We both suck."