Sixty-Five

The library was quiet this late at night. That's why Sam enjoyed being there before going to bed, back to Gabe who slept earlier since being pregnant. It was shortly past midnight when it knocked on the front door.
Sam watched the door, then reached for a handgun and walked up to the door. Better safe than sorry, he thought. Slowly, he opened the door.
"Hello, Sam."
Sam tried to close the door, having sworn to himself never to talk to her again. He closed the door and sighed. "What do you want, Becky?" he asked as he opened the door again.
"I need help," she said.
"Is it a demon?"
"No."
"A ghost?"
"No."
"Anything else that could kill you?"
"Sam, I-"
"Is it?"
"No."
"Then ask someone else." He closed the door, but she put her foot between the door and the frame. Sam sighed.
"I need your help. I think something is wrong with Chuck and I don't know what. I don't think he's human."
Sam watched her, then opened the door. "Not gonna talk about this at the door. Hope Dean doesn't see you."
"Thank you!" She threw her arms around Sam's neck.
"How did you even find us?" Sam walked down the staircase.
"Chuck told me."
"Obviously..." He sat down at the large table and pulled a chair back beside him. Becky sat down.
"You know, I didn't hear from Chuck in almost ten years. Actually, I didn't talk to anyone in a couple of years." She folded her hands and set them down on her lap. "Which is my fault," she admitted. "And I wouldn't bother you if you weren't the only people I knew who know about supernatural things."
Sam watched the table. "We know what Chuck is. Don't anger him."
"He wasn't angry, surprisingly," Becky said. "He said he misses me."
"That's good, get yourself some friends."
Becky didn't answer. She simply watched the table. A tear rolled down her cheek, down her neck. "I'm sorry," she said, her voice soft yet close to non-existent. She dragged her finger along her waterline.
Sam hesitated. They weren't even close to being friends, yet he didn't want to see her upset. Carefully, he wrapped his arms around her and brushed over her back. Becky wrapped her arms around his neck and started sobbing into Sam's shoulder.
He decided it was best not to say anything. Nothing he could say would make it better.
"I'm sorry," Becky whispered. "I'm so sorry."
Sam held her closer. "People make mistakes. Mistake shape us, but they don't define us."
"You think." She rubbed her eyes. "Maybe you made some questionable choices, but they were made with good intentions."
"I'm sure you didn't do what you did to harm me," Sam said.
"Of course not."
"So for you, you had good intentions."
The tear flow stopped. "Why are you doing this?"
Sam sighed. "Because I'm a good person, I guess."
Becky backed off and dried her tears. "Thank you."
"So... Chuck, huh?"
She blushed. "He visited me after ten years."
"Isn't that good?" Sam asked.
"I think so." She watched her hands. "How have you been?"
"My life turned upside down. I'm getting married in a few months. We're expecting a baby. I have a daughter. Dean and Cas are now dating-"
"Oh, thank God, finally."
Sam chuckled. "They have a daughter, she's three. Also, I'm getting married to a man."
Becky watched him and sighed. "I suppose the subtext didn't lie."
Sam furrowed his brows. "I'm not even asking."
"I'm happy for you anyway. I'm sure the wedding will be nice."
"Definitely. As soon as the baby is here, we're gonna set the date definitive." He smiled. "I'd have to ask Gabe, but since Chuck would probably invite you as his 'Plus-One'..."
Becky blushed. "Are you sure? I mean... We're not really friends."
"Yet." He chuckled. "Also wouldn't be the first wedding where you'd be there with me."
"I remembered you as a little more eloquent," Becky smiled.
"Well, it's also the middle of the night."
"So... You invited Chuck?"
Sam scratched his head. "Yeah. He dated my sister. Also, he's Gabe's dad."
Becky watched him. "I don't know how old Gabe is, but I didn't think Chuck would be this old."
"Yeah, just as old as time itself." He chewed on his lip. "Becky, Chuck is God."
"Excuse me?" Becky moved in her seat, her eyes wide.
"Yeah. Ask him next time you see him." Sam put a hand on her shoulder. "I don't know if I wanna send you out there either. I'll show you a room, okay? Amd tomorrow maybe I can go with you."