Twenty-Six

Sam was confused when Serah and Gabriel started talking in Enochian on the breakfast table. He didn't mind too much, just confused. He didn't understand most of what they said except for a few words he had learned due to research. He heard the occasional "Castiel" and "Dean" and even "Sam" a few times, each combined with a careful look to the hunter himself. But it was the latter half of their conversation that caught his attention. "Angel" and "procreation" was part of their talk. That was when Sam decided to eavesdrop on them, and eventually, he heard words like "love" and "confess". It felt like things started to make sense to him even more than they already did. Filling in the blanks Sam didn't understand, Gabriel essentially said: " Castiel cannot confess his love for Dean."
It's not like Sam had never known. In fact, he did know for a few years. He had tried to talk to Cas about it but whenever Sam even hinted at this subject, Castiel disappeared. Now that he knew for sure, he would try again. He would try to talk to Cas first, and then he would try to convince Dean to stop lying to himself.
Sam knew for a fact Dean wasn't straight. That's how he found out about their father's homophobic nature. Dean wasn't gay, either though. Sam was pretty sure that Dean genuinely is into women - he had more than enough proof - but he has had at least a strong interest once and most likely still. The times Sam saw Dean silently checking out guys at bars just to end up with a girl anyway.
Sam remembers when Dean had his first boyfriend. His first and only boyfriend. Dean was barely fourteen and Sam was so happy for them. Sam didn't understand why their father was mad, or why he kicked Dean's boyfriend out of the motel room. He especially didn't know why Dean only wore longarm shirts for a while.
Now Sam knew. He knew John was homophobic, he knew John didn't want any gays in his presence and he knew Dean was hiding bruises from his little brother.
Suddenly, Sam's heart felt heavy.
"Dad?" Serah leaned over the table.
"Yeah?" Sam replied.
"You're crying."
Sam quickly rubbed his hand over his eyes and cleared his throat. "Don't worry," Sam reassured.
"Sam, no," Gabriel mumbled and took his hand. "What happened?"
"Can we talk about this later?" Sam hushed, his thumb brushing over the back of Gabriel's hand. "I, uhm, I need to talk to Cas, if that's okay."
"Sure," Gabe smiled. "Let's go."
"Uhm, I need to talk to him in private." Sam got up. "It won't take too long." He left the room and looked for the angel, ending up in his own room. He heard the rustling of wings.
"You wanted to talk," the angel said.
"Yes," Sam replied, smiling faintly. "It's about Dean."
"Dean?" Cas watched him concerned. "Is he okay?"
"Oh yes," Sam chuckled. "He's perfectly fine. It's more about you two." He smiled. "So, I heard Gabe and Serah talk in Enochian and might have heard as a thing or two about you."
"Oh," Cas mumbled. "What did they say?"
"Look, Cas, we both know you're in love with Dean." Sam sighed. "Even Gabe talked about it. And, this is great. Dean likes you too."
Cas watched the hunter. "He does?" he asked.
"Yeah. He's head over heels into you. Just ask him out on a date. Buy him some flowers, I don't know."
Cas' cheeks grew red. "And this will work?"
"I promise," Sam smiled. "I'll talk to him and you two will be married in no time."
Castiel smiled widely. "Thank you, Sam."
"Any time," Sam smiled back and went back to the kitchen. "Dean. Can we talk?"
The older Winchester looked up from his plate. "Sure, shoot."
"Private."
Dean sighed and got up, leaving the kitchen. "What is it?"
"Dude, we need to talk about your sexuality."
Dean stayed silent for a second. "What?" he finally asked.
Sam sighed frustrated. "So, you and Cas need to get together."
"And do what?" Dean asked.
"You're playing dumb."
"No, you're talking crap. I'm not gay."
"But you're into dudes. Come on, we know dad scared you to hell-"
"Just stop it!" Dean yelled. "We talked about this. I am straight, I don't like men, and I'm definitely not in love with Cas!"
Silence. Dead silence. Sam tried to find words, but he was at a loss. He looked over Dean's shoulder with an apologizing look. He didn't see that much pain in someone's eyes in a while.
"You lied," the angel said.
"Cas, no, I-"
"You promised, Sam."
Dean turned around, but the only thing they heard was a bunch of flowers hitting the floor.