Ninety-Six

"Dean would kill me if he knew you're here." Sam coughed on his sleeve and dropped on his throne.
"It's important," Jack said. "I got a letter."
"From hell?" Sam asked.
"Yes." He pulled it out of his jacket and read out loud. "Dear Jack-"
"Yeah, no, I believe you." Sam grabbed the letter and skimmed it. "Who is Belphegor?"
"I don't know," Jack admitted. "But he needs my help."
Sam leaned over to the demon to his left. "You have an overview of what's going on here, right?"
The demon watched him and cleared his throat. "I don't," he said. "But I can get the archive reports."
"Do that." Sam straightened. "Bring me reports on Ruby and bring me Belphegor."
"Yes, Sir." The demon disappeared.
"Why are you asking about Ruby?" Jack asked.
"Because she's doing something. I don't know what, but she's doing something."
"It'd be weird if she didn't do anything, though."
Sam smiled. "I guess that's true."
The demon came back, a file and another demon accompanying him. "Sir, this is Belphegor." He handed him the file and walked back to his place.
Belphegor grinned and lightly bowed. "Your highness."
"Stuff it," Sam said. "What do you want from my nephew?"
"Jack, yes. Good that you got my letter."
"Answer the question." Sam stared him down. "What do you want?"
"Help," Belphegor said. "Hell isn't what it used to be, as you should know."
"Sucks to be you, now why Jack?"
"He's a nice guy, you know. And a nephilim. He needs to help me with something."
"Why didn't you ask Serah?" Jack asked.
"He's not that dumb," Sam said. "Why would he help you?"
"Can I talk to him in private?"
"No, answer the damn question."
"I need to sort things out on Earth."
"Get a vessel."
Belphegor laughed softly. "You know, it's not that easy. I need some angelic help."
"Sucks." Sam watched Jack. "He's not helping."
"Actually, Sam..." Jack turned to him. "What if he really needs help?"
"He's a demon, what could he need help for?"
"I don't know, but maybe he's a good person!"
Sam watched Jack and then Belphegor. "What is your job around here?"
"I file the souls and torture them." A cocky grin appeared on his lips.
"Doesn't sound too bad, really..." Sam turned in his throne. "I mean, now that underage deals are banned, and generally certain deals are... Mostly bad people, huh?"
"Greedy assholes, manipulative bastards, power-hungry sons of bitches. You name it, I've seen it." He laughed. "Someone wronged me, got his way out of a deal. I'm not letting that slide."
"You're a demon. Get him yourself."
"I'm not an idiot, you know?" Belphegor crossed his arms. "Demonic means aren't enough. Please. I don't need much time."
Jack stared at Sam, pleading eyes wearing his guard down. "Please, Sam."
Sam sighed deeply. "Goddammit, I can't stop you. If he does crap, smite him."
"Obviously."
Belphegor raised his eyebrows. "So, can I go back to work?"
"Sure, sadist." Sam shook his head. "Jack, if you tell Dean or Cas-"
"They'd kill us." Jack looked down. "Do you want me to go home?"
"I think it's best." He pulled him in a hug. "Get some lunch, alright?"
"Sure thing." Jack smiled and disappeared.
Sam cleared his throat. It felt like he swallowed sandpaper. He grabbed the file and opened it. Detailed reports and documentation of Ruby's every step. He shook his head. She didn't do anything. Anything.
Mostly, she went to diners, occasional paperwork, met up with Jessica, went to the cinema. Sam paused. Met with Jessica? Their Jess? Why on Earth would she do that? He closed the file and gave it to his demon assistant. "I have some business to deal with?"
"What kind of business?" his assistant asked.
"Family business." He got up and walked to the gate. "Keep it running, will you?"
"Of course, sir."
Then, Sam stepped back home.