Sixty-Two

Weeks passed and spring had come around. Serah and Gabriel were sporting a large belly. Wedding planning was in full charge.
"Okay, but who's gonna wear white?" Gabe leaned against Sam's arm.
"I don't know," Sam replied. He finished his signature on the wedding invite and slid it over to Gabe, who signed as well.
"I think you should wear white," Gabe commented. "I'm sure you'd look amazing."
Sam smiled. "I'll look for a suit then." He took the invite and put it in an envelope. "Jody will kill me when she finds out I'm getting married without telling her I'm even seeing someone."
"So, you're 'seeing' me?" Gabe laughed. "Thanks."
"Who are you inviting?" Sam asked.
"My dad, I guess." She watched the invites. "I don't really have friends or family."
"Not true." Sam pulled her close. "We are your family." He pressed a kiss on her temple. "So, Chuck's getting an invitation." He took another invite and wrote away.
"Hey, Sammy?" Gabe watched the pen in Sam's hand. "Are you gonna invite your dad?"
Sam shrugged. "Don't know yet." He signed and slid the card over. "I don't want to provoke any fights."
"Okay." Signature, envelope, address.
A while later, all invites were written, signed and thrown into the mailbox. Just one stayed in Sam's hand. Endlessly, he read the letters over and over again.
John Winchester.
He knew John wouldn't come. He'd see that it's a wedding invitation and he would tear it up and throw it out. Or maybe, he wouldn't even care.
Sam's jaw clenched, hot tears running down the side of his face. He wiped away the liquid and walked back inside. He threw the invitation in the bin. At least he knew where it was.
He walked into their room where Gabriel already waited for him.
"What is it?" Gabe asked.
"I don't want to talk about it."
Gabriel sighed and got up. "Don't be a hypocrite. We both know you hate it when Dean, or Serah, or I don't talk about our feelings with you. Now come to bed." She wrapped her long fingers around Sam's wrist and pulled him backward.
Sam sighed and sat down. "I'm just feeling a bit upset, nothing to worry about."
"But I am worried!" Gabe exclaimed.
"We have other things to worry about. Like the arrival of the baby and the wedding and Serah giving birth soon."
Gabe leaned against his shoulder. "You're right. We don't even have the rooms ready yet."
"I'm not taking you to Ikea."
"Sam, please."
"No," Sam laughed. "We'll order online."
Gabe pouted and hugged his arm. "At least you're smiling."
"I'm not," Sam claimed.
"You are, 'cause you are an adorable little baby." Gabe cupped Sam's face and pressed kisses all over his face.
"Babe, I'm an adult." Sam chuckled. "Not a baby."
"To me, you're a tiny little boy."
Slowly, Sam felt how his face heated up. In the years of Dean belittling him with the role of the little brother, he's never been this flattered by it.
Not that Sam wanted to be belittled. He was an adult man who could handle his own problems and a pregnant fiancée wasn't going to change that. Probably, Sam just liked not having to worry about saving someone for once.
Instead, he let Gabriel sit on his lap and tell him how adorable he was, and how 37 years are nothing once you are a couple of billion years old, and how he was her favourite person out of all.
Sam enjoyed the peace, the calm. He didn't have to do anything. It was one of the rare moments where Sam felt... normal.
There was no apocalypse, no demons chasing after them. Just him and Gabriel - who admittedly is an archangel, but Sam was glad to let that one slide. Life was good, and that's what mattered.
"You're not paying any attention to me," Gabriel said. Her bottom lip stuck out and her eyebrows were stern.
"I am," Sam laughed. "I promise."
"Okay," Gabe mumbled and cuddled into the crook of Sam's neck. "I love you."
"I love you too, sweetheart." Sam ran his fingers down Gabriel's back. She was wearing one of Sam's old shirts like she always does when they didn't leave the house.
And Sam loved her like that. Messy hair, bags under her eyes and large clothes. Sam was so in love.