Twenty-Seven

Dean covered his face in shame. If he had known Cas was listening, he would have never said that. On the other hand, Cas was always listening.
He couldn't believe he lied. Of course, he loved Cas. He had been for years. How was he supposed to know Sam had talked to the angel? Dean felt like an idiot.
He was sitting on the edge of his bed when he heard the familiar rustling of wings. His head shot up and he basically jumped off the bed when he recognized the angel. "Cas, I-"
"I calmed down," Castiel said. "And I apologize. I shouldn't have left like this. I don't want you to feel pressured into any kind of situation you don't feel comfortable in, and I also apologize for Sam trying to do exactly that." He avoided eye contact. He really meant what he said.
"I can explain," Dean said. "Things are just weird and... and Sam was a bit too... uh, on the nose. What I said, I-... I didn't mean it. Not in the slightest. Sam was right and I was scared. You saw how my dad reacted to Sam and Gabriel..." The hunter rubbed his hand over his face. "Cas, I'm sorry." He hugged the angel tightly, his chin resting on his shoulder for a good while.
Neither of them felt the need to talk. It was just them, feeling each other's presence, inhaling each other's scent.
It was Dean who eventually pulled back to look the angel in his blue eyes. He was nervous, apprehensive. It felt like hours staring into his eyes, but at the same time like a few short moments. Finally, Dean closed the gap. His lips met the angel's lips. His heart was beating as if was going to explode. His stomach felt like all sorts of things. He didn't know if he ever felt like this before, but if he did, he didn't in a long time.
This time, Cas pulled back.
"Wow," Dean hushed, their lips almost touching still. Suddenly, his lips curled into a wide smile. He couldn't believe he had done this. He was standing in front of Castiel, they had kissed. And he never felt better.
So he grabbed Cas' face and kissed him again. He couldn't believe this was real. He must be dreaming. To him, this felt like heaven. It felt like he was going to pull back, open his eyes and be making out with his pillow.
Slowly, Dean backed off. Cas was still here. His heart was still exploding. But it was dark. Very dark. He didn't notice before, but the power went out.
Castiel apparently noticed that Dean had noticed and cleared his throat. "You surprised me..."
Dean watched the angel and smiled softly. "We can fix it," he said. He reached for Cas hand and interlocked their fingers.
"We should thank Sam," Cas suggested.
"We should." Together, they walked out of Dean's room, towards the kitchen. Nobody had moved from there. Serah shoved food into her mouth like she was gonna starve, Gabriel drank some coffee and Sam had put his head on his boyfriend's shoulder. Dean couldn't but smile.
"And?" Sam asked.
Dean chuckled nervously and held up his and Cas' hand.
Sam smiled and leaned more to Gabriel. "Finally.Took you only, what, ten years?"
"Ten years?!" Serah almost choked on her food. "Wow."
Dean blushed and cleared his throat. "Yeah, uhm..."
"We need to talk, though." Sam straightened up. "Not about Cas. Just a brother thing, alright?"
"Uhm, sure," Dean said, let go of Cas' hand and patted his back. "I'll be back."
Once again, the Winchesters left the kitchen and stopped in the kitchen.
"Thank you, Sam," Dean said. "Really. I would have never done this without you."
"I know, but this isn't really about you guys... We need to do something about dad."
Dean sighed. "We can't help him. He's too far gone."
"We can!" Sam insisted. "I mean, I know what happened back then and how much it screwed you up to date, but come on. Dad has to face this. If he cares about us, he will."
"Sam..." Dean closed his eyes. "He won't. He won't talk to us, or to Mom. He doesn't want to."
"No," Sam said. "He was dead for over a decade and now he behaves like a dickhead and I'm not gonna let that slide. He spent so much time looking for Mom and she's here and he doesn't see her!"
"Just stop." Dean sighed. "We don't need him to be happy. We didn't for the last few years and we can be happy without him."
Sam watched his brother before going back to the kitchen. Dean followed closely. "This is childish..."