Thirty-Eight

Serah put up her hair in a bun. Dean drove her friends home and would go on a hunt with Cas and Jess a town over.
"You ready yet?" Sam asked from the other side of the bathroom door.
"Almost."
Sam laughed. "So another ten minutes?" Serah pulled open the door and looked up to her dad. Sam watched her dress. "Wow," he smiled. "You really dressed up for me."
"I didn't," Serah claimed. "I'm always that gorgeous."
Sam laughed. "I never said otherwise." He put an arm around her and walked her to the car. He opened the door for Serah to get in.
The car looked like it was completely untouched. Its beige colour was pleasing to the eye, Serah thought. She got inside and smiled. Sam got in on the driver's seat.
"So, where do you wanna eat?"
Serah frowned. "I don't know, you choo-"
"I played that game with your father often enough. Pick something."
"Burgers," Serah giggled.
"Sounds perfect." Sam drove out of the garage. The ride was silent, just like Serah liked it until Sam's phone rang. Since Sam was driving, she picked up.
"Hi, dad. What's up?"
"Hi kiddo," Gabe said. "How far are you from home?"
She looked over her shoulder. "I don't know, we've been gone for like five minutes, why?"
"We have a little problem," Gabe explained. "Well, it's a big problem."
"What is it?" Serah asked and put the phone on speaker.
"Not sure, but Jack is really, really sick."
"He's human. He gets sick. We'll stop by the pharmacy on the way back."
"Wait, wait, wait," Serah said. "Jack has no grace?"
"Uhm, yes?"
"Dad, we need to get back!" She grabbed Sam's arm. "He's in big trouble."
Sam looked confused. "Fine, but you need to explain."
"Honey, do you know something we don't?" Gabriel asked while Sam turned the car.
"Well, Michael did." Serah put down the phone. "He said that nephilim are basically indestructible."
"We know," Sam said. "But?"
"But, Michael said the only thing I need to take care of is my grace. Because if I lost my grace I couldn't live long without it."
Sam watched her worriedly. "Jack didn't have any grace since you came to us."
"That's bad." The car stopped and the two of them ran inside. They went to Jack's room where Gabe and Jack were, one kneeling on the bed and the other one with bloody lips.
"Jack?" Serah asked. "Hey." She knelt beside the bed and took his hand.
The boy was pale, his grip on Serah's hand was weak. "I feel horrible."
Serah nodded. "It'll be better. I promise." She got up and watched Gabe, before pulling him out of the room. "Big problem."
"You know how to fix it?" Gabe asked.
"If we can't find any grace, I'll doubt it." She took a deep breath. "If I knew, I wouldn't have killed Michael." She covered her face.
"Hey, hey," Gabe hushed and hugged her. "We'll figure it out, okay?"
Serah nodded and went back inside. She sat on the side of the bed, took a tissue from the nightstand and wiped away the blood of Jack's lips. "Hey," Serah smiled.
Jack tried to smile back. "Hey." He put his hand on hers. "How bad is it?"
The girl looked down. "I'm not sure. Just try to hold on, okay?"
"Do you know where I go?"
Serah shook her head. "No," she admitted. "But you won't find out. I promise."
Jack leaned his head into the pillow, his eyes closed.
"Jack, look at me," Serah said. She put her hand on his cheek and brushed over it. "Just stay awake for me, okay?"
"Can you call Clark for me?"
Serah nodded. "Of course," she said and pulled out her phone. She dialled the number and waited.
"Hey, what's up?" Clark asked.
"Hey, uhm..." She watched Jack and sighed. "I'll come over in a sec and get you here."
Clark laughed. "Does Jack miss me?"
"You'll see..." She flew over to him and flew the two of them back. Immediately, Clark's smile faded.
"Jack?" he asked, sitting down on the edge.
The boy smiled faintly. "Hey."
"What happened?" Clark watched over to the others.
"Clark..." Jack's breath slowed down. "Are you going to be sad?"
"What are you even talking about?"
"You know." Jack looked down. "Please, don't be sad."
"No, no, no." Clark took Jack's hand. "Don't do it. Don't go."
A tear rolled down Jack's cheek. "I love you."
"Jack, please," Clark said.
Jack closed his eyes.
"Jack," Serah said with a stern voice.
Jack's hand slid off of Clark's.
"Jack, stay with us," Sam said, very concerned.
Jack's breath slowed down even more.
"Jack, come on!" Gabe said and shook the boy's shoulders.
Serah teared up and leaned against Sam's chest.
"Jack!" Clark yelled. He got off the bed and turned around. "Do something!"
Sam wrapped his arms around his crying daughter. "She would if she could, trust me."
"I'm sorry," Serah cried. "I'm so sorry."
Clark watched first them and then Jack. He covered his face and took a deep breath. "Can I... Can I stay for a few days?"
"Of course," Gabe said as calmly as he could.
Clark didn't reply, just nodded and left. A few seconds later, a door was slammed shut.
Serah pushed her face in Sam's chest. "I should have done something!"
"Shh," Sam hushed. "You couldn't have done anything."