Thirty-Nine

The bunker was loud after they had broken the news to Dean, Cas and Jess. Castle was the quietest one, be simply sat by Jack's bed. Jess had locked herself in her room crying. Dean and Gabriel had been arguing for a while about whether or not they should have called them. Clark was still in his room. Only Sam and Serah sat on the table, picking at what was supposed to be their dinner.
"They should be finished soon," Sam mumbled. Both of them knew that was a lie. "Just eat your dinner."
"I can't," Serah sighed. "I can't eat right now." She pushed the plate aside.
Sam sighed, he dropped the fork on the table. Then, the doorbell rang. Slowly, Serah lifted herself from the chair and walked to the door. A short, blonde woman waited on the stone steps, the hood of her beige cape covering her face.
"I am looking for Jack Kline," she said, her voice calm and mature. "Are you associated with him?"
"We don't need any guests at the moment," Serah mumbled and tried to close the door.
"I think I could help you with him," the woman insisted.
"We don't need any help, alright?"
"I know he died, and that's why I'm here."
Serah hesitated, then opened the door. "What's your problem?"
"I study the afterlife and death. The death of a nephilim is a very rare occurrence, given that there are so few of them alive. I may have a method or two of resurrection that I would be willing to test out on him, given that you grant me access to him."
Serah watched her, then turned around to her father. "Fine. Whatever. Can't kill him again, I guess." She stepped back and climbed down the staircase.
The woman followed, watching Sam closely.
"You must be Sam Winchester, I assume." She stretched out her hand, covered in a glove matching her cape.
"Do I know you?" Sam asked.
After a moment of silence, the woman took back her hand and cleared her throat. "My name is Salome Liebermann. I am a researcher of death and everything associated. I heard of the passing of Jack Kline."
"We don't need your condolences," Sam mumbled.
"I wasn't offering any," Salome said. "As I already said, I research death. The death of a nephilim is a rare occurrence and I would love to see whether I could help you with your, uhm... Let's call it an inconvenience, shall we?"
Sam watched his plate. "And what do you want for that?" he asked.
"The knowledge of my theories are correct." She crossed her arms. "Nothing else."
Sam nodded. "Fine."
"I'll show you the room," Serah mumbled and walked down the hallway. When she opened the door, Cas was sitting beside the bed, his eyes fixed on Jack. "Hey," Serah said in a soft voice.
Salome stepped closer and stripped off the gloves. "Poor boy," she mumbled.
"Who is this?" Cas asked.
"She wants to help us." Serah shrugged. "What is supposed to happen?"
The mysterious woman sighed and turned to the others. "Will you let me try out my methods?"
Serah shrugged again. "Don't blow us up."
Salome stripped off her cape. She was a young woman, blonde, chin-length curls and a pair of black glasses. She wore a white button-up shirt with rolled up sleeves and a beige bowtie, matching with her beige skirt and thigh-high boots. She was younger than Serah had expected, and more attractive as well. "I need a few ingredients if you could supply me with those." She pulled out a sheet of paper and handed it to the angel. Castiel disappeared and reappeared with a brown paper bag. "Thanks, love," the woman said.
"What did you want?" Serah asked.
"Blood of a lamb, salt, myrrh, clove." Castiel watched the woman mix the ingredients in a small bowl.
"Wow," Serah sighed. "Disgusting."
"But effective," Salome claimed. "It has been proven to work on humans, whether they had gone to heaven or hell. Especially since heaven's guards have been down the last few years." She traced patterns on Jack's skin. "If the boy went to heaven or hell, he will come back. And if it doesn't work, we can be assured he did not go to either place, which would be incredibly helpful to my research." She wiped off her hands on a tissue and pulled out another sheet. She started saying a spell Serah didn't understand. It might have been Latin.
The pattern on Jack's skin started glowing in a red sheen.
"Is it working?" Serah whispered.
Salome ended her spell, and the glowing faded. The woman sighed deeply. "This didn't work." She reached for another tissue and cleaned Jack's skin. "I can try out other things, but it requires time to prepare."
Serah nodded. "Fine. Take your time..." She watched Cas and left the room who followed and closed the door. "I'm gonna look for Clark... I wanna make sure he's alright..." She walked towards his room and was startled by a loud crash. Slowly, she opened the door.