Twenty-Nine

Sam groaned when he felt something falling on him.
"Gabriel, what the-"
"Happy Anniversary, Sam."
Sam couldn't but smile and wrapped his arms around the archangel. "Happy Anniversary, Gabe." He pressed a soft kiss on his temple.
"Now you can go back to sleep." Gabe cuddled in the crook of Sam's neck.
Sam chuckled and ran his hand over his face. "Now I'm awake. Get up, babe." Sam sat up with him. The archangel was tired and Sam had to literally carry his boyfriend to the kitchen. He put him on the chair and made some breakfast and coffee. He sat down with the plates and mugs and smiled. "So, what's the plan for today?"
"I don't know." Gabriel stuffed food in his mouth. "But I wanna spend today with you."
Sam smiled. "Sounds like sex."
"Lots of sex."
"You're an idiot," Sam smiled.
"No," Gabe said. "I'm your idiot."
Sam had to smile. Gabe was right. Gabe was Sam's idiot, only Sam's. He leaned over and placed a kiss on his nose.
"I love you," Sam smiled.
"I love you, too." Gabe took a sip and put down the mug. "I can't believe it's already been a year."
"Ne neither." Sam bit his lip. "I can't believe it..." Sam put his hand on Gabe's.
They finished their breakfast. Sam was never the best chef, but Gabe seemed to like it a lot. After cleaning the dishes, Gabe immediately pulled on his shirt, dragging him to their room.
"Hey, hey, easy there," Sam laughed. He followed and closed the door. "You're so impatient." Sam put his arms around Gabriel and pulled him closer.
"How am I supposed to resist this attractive dude?" Gabriel pulled him down and pressed their lips together. They slowly stumbled to the bed, crashing onto it.
Sam loved feeling Gabe's lips. The feeling of his finger in Sam's hair, on Sam's skin. It had been years since Sam felt the feelings Gabriel invoked in him. Gabe made him feel good. He made him feel loved. He wanted to really dedicate his life to this archangel. Well, he definitely dedicated his energy.
Out of breath, Sam fell on his side of the bed. Gabriel moved closer and put his head on Sam's chest. That was the only time Gabriel would be quiet. Except for this time.
"You're really something else," Gabe mumbled.
"Am I?" Sam wrapped an arm around him.
"You're the best human on Earth that has ever lived." Gabe lifted himself up and draped the blanket over them. "And I know that. I've seen some great people, but you're the best, by far."
Sam chuckled. "Stop, you're making me blush."
"I don't ever wanna leave your side," Gabriel said, finding his place back on Sam's chest. "And maybe this sounds a bit dumb, because of my dad and because I'm an archangel..."
Sam watched as a small box appeared in Gabe's hand. The archangel hesitated before laughing off his nervosity.
"Gabe, I-..." Sam found himself stumbling over his own words. He sat up in the bed, he was looking for words but he was at a loss.
Even Gabriel, who always had something to say, found himself struggling. "I..." He swallowed and paused for a moment. "I understand..."
"Gabe, no... It's not because of you, I promise. I just..."
"Too early..." Gabriel sat up as well, the box long gone. "I should have listened to Dean."
Sam watched the archangel. "You told him?"
"I asked him." Gabriel laughed to himself. "Him and your mom."
"Gabriel, I swear. It's not because I don't want to marry you."
"Why then, Sam? What other reason could there be?"
Sam remained silent. Words just wouldn't fall into place how they should. He couldn't explain what he felt, only that he felt. Suddenly, two words popped up and everything made sense.
"I'm scared."
Now, Gabriel sat up as well. "You're scared? Of commitment?"
"No..." Sam watched away, shame dwelling up inside of him. "You know what happened last time I got engaged."
"You've got to be kidding me." Gabriel watched the hunter. "Sam, that was 14 years ago."
"Yeah. 14 years. Doesn't mean I don't think about her."
Gabriel left the bed. "Good to know. Good that I'm fine, but I'm not her."
"I don't want you to be her," Sam replied, getting up as well. "I don't love her anymore, but that doesn't mean I don't feel guilty about what happened. I know I could have stopped it, and then-"
"We would have never met properly." Gabriel finished. "And if we did, you wouldn't have been interested."
Sam closed his eyes. "Why are you doing this?"
"Doing what? Asking why you rejected my proposal?"
"Making me feel like a dickbag."
"You rejected my proposal!" Gabriel yelled.
Tears formed on Sam's waterline. His hands trembled as he wiped away the little droplets. "I did," he simply said. "And if you don't respect my feelings and accept that, then I don't know where this relationship is headed."
Gabriel didn't reply. With a snap of his fingers, he was gone, leaving Sam crying about his choices. He knew he was wrong, but it was too late.